Regional Test Piece Archive

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Accidental, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Does anyone know if there's a complete list out there of Regionals test pieces? I know WhatSharp was putting something together a few years ago - did you ever finish it Steve?

Getting nostalgic and trying to trace back all the areas I've done - I can remember the band and section for every year, but I can only remember the pieces back to about 1991 then it gets a bit fuzzy... which is making me feel very old! :rolleyes:

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

3. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

The SBBA has a results archive for the Scottish Championships dating back to 1885. The regionals were merged with the Scottish from about 1959 so test pieces listed from then onwards are probably the regional pieces. Prior to that year there is no guarantee that they are the same. The Scottish Championships results can be accessed here.

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I bought the archive when printed back in the early '90s. Makes interesting reading as it has adjudicators & conductors listed too! (... and also viewing the picture of Roger Webster in a kilt!)

5. Accidental

I was after a list with all the info in one place (as Steve was trying to put together - where is that guy when you need him?!) so 4br isn't much help. I'd be very surprised if there isn't one somewhere.
    That SBBA archive is the best resource I've found so far, thanks! :)

6. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Let me know exactly what you're looking for and I can maybe do a databse extract of the relevant information.

7. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Ask and thou shall recieve! :D

crikey I haven't looked at that page for ages. It's still there ( kind of )

http://www.valehome.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Band/TestPieces.htm

Unfortunatley I made the mistake of trying to get flash ( well lazy actually ) and turning it into an Excel spreadsheet, somehow the 3rd section didn't get on there..

I've got some spare time on my hands tonight so I might see if I can resurrect the original and bring it up to date.

8. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Also discovered that if you have Excel then click in the export button ( little X with a pencil ) it dumps it into excel and all the sections are there.

9. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

My computer must be too old to view that page, its saying Ive to have:

"Microsoft® Internet Explorer 5.01 Service Pack 2 (SP2) or later and the Microsoft Office 2003 Web Components"

Thats what I get for still runnng windows 98......!!!!

10. Di

Di Active Member

If you can get it to download to a spreadsheet for you, is there any chance you could upload the spreadsheet as an attachment?

I followed the link and it wants me to make all kinds of changes to my system before being allowed to view it. :frown:

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Regionals
    WhatSharp
    Steve
    Regionals test pieces
    Regional Test Piece
  12. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

I can't get it working. It looks like it will only work with MS software and it wants to run a DLL so the firewall blocked it.

13. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Yeh sorry about that folks ( like I said I haven't looked at it since 2005! ) ....I'll sort out a more "friendly" version for you and post when it's done..

14. Accidental

Thanks guys, I knew tMPers would come up with the goods! :)

I just thought it would be interesting to have a simple list where you could look at a given year and see all 4 or 5 test pieces, nothing complicated.

15. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

There you go folks. It's a bit crude but it'll keep you happy till I can make a better one. Theres a few gaps ( not all the new stuff is in there )

16. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

17. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Interesting to see how many pieces get reused (Rococcococo variations has been used about 3 times! .. if I had the time I'd do a Top 100

18. Accidental

I've just found a whole new way to not be working! :-D
    using the SBBA list, 17 pieces have been used twice since the '50s and 4 have been used 3 times, but NONE of them are the old chestnuts people moan about being overused! :wink:

19. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

I did this little bit of analysis for last years Championships preview article

"Test Pieces

It is rare for a test piece to get more than one outing but it has happened on a few occassions. The most times any test piece has been used is 3 times and this is shared by Gilbert Vinters Spectrum which was used for the Championship section in 1970 and 1976 and the 1st section in 1996. The other testpiece to have had 3 outings is Alan Streets Rococo Variations which was used for the 2nd section in 1969 and again in 1995, and also for the 3rd section in 1977."

What are the other two that I missed?

20. Accidental

I may have got this wrong because not all the older ones have composers listed, but I thought Suite in Bb and Symphonic Suite for Brass Band? (imaginitive titles, not!!)

On the subject of pants titles, there's been 5 different Sinfoniettas, 9 sets of Variations, 19 or 20 Suites and 20 somethings for band/brass or brass band. I'm thinking musical composition and creative writing don't go together :rolleyes:

(and yes, its a verrry sloooooooow day at work, lol!)

21. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

PLaces we've been to :

Prague, Belmont, Forest Of Dean, Kenilworth, Venice, Culloden Moor, Buckenham, Hollywood, Salford, California, The Moon, the North ( Northern Landscapes ), St Austell, Narnia, Tintagel, Snowdon, Barchester, Devon ( twice ), Sweden, Fowey River, Salzberg, Anglia, Haslemere, North America ( Indian Summer)m Mexico, Peninne, Stantonbury, Malvern ( one of my favs and due a return visit... :D )

I've probably missed a few too!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Regionals
    WhatSharp
    Steve
    Regionals test pieces
    Regional Test Piece