Regional Contest - Questions?

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Roger Thorne, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Does anyone know the answers to the following questions? Just out of curiosity, I would like to know.

1. When do adjudicators receive their respective scores for the area contests.

2. Do adjudicators receive an additional 'corrected' score if an errata is issued, or do they work from the original score and the errata?

2. 007ish

007ish Member

Maybe your question is a little difficult to answer as with less than four weeks before some “Areas” it is seems that Kapitol Promotions may not even know who the adjudicators are, let alone when they should receive a score with or without errata :biggrin:
  3. 007ish

007ish Member

Where has it gone :eek:
    Has my tongue in cheek comment meant that Roger Thorne's valid and unanswered question did not apear on the Home Page and had to be taken off New Posts listing :confused:
  4. dyl

dyl Active Member

Are you talking about the tMP Home Page? if so, then that only shows the last 10 threads which have been created or replied to - in certain categories. This definitely excludes all the Random categories, and I'm not sure if the 2009 Regionals gets included - though it perhaps should?

As for the 'new posts' listing - it does at says on the tin - it shows 'new posts' since your last visit - and as there weren't any replies made since your one yesterday then it wouldn't show.

No conspiracy theory here I'm afraid.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  5. 007ish

007ish Member

Oh dam! :biggrin:. Still would be nice to have an answer to Roger Thorne's original question though.
  6. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Wait... you're telling me they actually do have the score.....?

7. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Well - A score - if it's the same as your MD's, it's a bonus.... ;)
  8. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Next you'll be telling us they've got batteries in their hearing aids! :D
  9. 4thmandown

4thmandown Member

Or it's the score they used the previous week when they conducted at their areas...

...and if you don't play it the way their band did...
  10. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

And irrespective of whether they have received a score (doctored or otherwise) - will they pay any attention to it...??? Many adjudicators (and players) will know how they like/want a piece played, so having a score will make no difference, especially with an old war horse like 'Salute to Youth'... :eek:
  11. Thirteen Ball

I've been shot down for saying this in the past.

It doesn't matter how well you play. If the chap(s) in the box don't like how you played it, you ain't ever gonna win.

It's not the best performance that wins, it's the one they like the most.
  12. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

I've never been scared of a bit of controversy... ;)
  13. JR

JR Member

(1) At least 4 months before the contest in my case (not relevant for well known piece)

(2) Amended score (e.g.James Cook last year) or score with errata

14. Thirteen Ball

PS folks - here is a man who does thing properly, by the way, and can hear ropey tuning at 200 yards...

(Hi JR!)

Although my Girlfriend's never forgiven you for giving her last place with Elland silver on "Variations for brass band" a few years back.... though I think these days she'd probably admit they weren't what you might call 'great' that day!!
  15. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Thanks John

16. mikelyons

With regard to the above post, and after a telephone conversation with Mr C. Brian Buckley, I would like to add the following:

The remark was made in jest, I did not seriously intend that any particular adjudicator, or any group of adjudicators should feel slighted or insulted by my reference to hearing aids or batteries and, under the threat of litigation, I feel obliged to make this statement to clarify that the above was merely an off-the-cuff comment and does not actually represent my feelings about adjudicators.

In common with many bandsmen I have had what I considered to be good adjudications and bad adjudications, but I have been pragmatic enough to accept the verdict for what it was and put any disappointment down to experience.

I do not regret the statement, as it was made in a sense of fun and this was fully indicated by the presence of a smiley :D however, Mr Buckley insisited that I issue a statement explaining the jest or an apology.
  17. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Member

The deaf ones presumably!

I hope he rings me now.

18. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Surely to god you are not serious :dunno
  19. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

Jesus H Christ Mike - I wouldn't have apologised for having a sense of humour, or for the lack of someone else's.
  20. mikelyons

I haven't apologised, I have merely explained to those without a sense of humour or an understanding of the use of smileys to indicate jokes/witticisms etc, that the comment was made entirely in jest. I shall henceforth precede all my witticisms with an amusement warning...