Regional bread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Darth_Tuba, Jun 30, 2004.


What do you call it?

  1. Roll

  2. Bun

  3. Barm

  4. Bap

  5. Teacake

  6. Other

  1. Darth_Tuba

    Darth_Tuba Active Member

    Right, was having a conversation with my Dad about this random subject last night. Basically was just about different names for breadrolls you use to make bacon buttys etc. I personally, when asking for one of these, would refer to it as a barm or bap. Other people just use roll, and some bizarre people over east lancs way even call em teacakes :? Just wondered what people referred to them as. Any others welcome. Yes, I am VERY stuck for things to do. Humour me!
  2. Naomi McFadyen

    Naomi McFadyen New Member

    I tend just to say Roll most of the time... although sometimes say bap.

    Nice to see the food polls coming back up again btw :lol:
  3. Andy_Euph

    Andy_Euph Active Member

    Tend to call them breadbuns as thats what they are. Came across balm down in yorkshire and the north west, as in chip balm, I was like no pet its a chip butty get it right.

    Best looking and named bread has to be the Stottie :p
  4. lynchie

    lynchie Active Member

    Traditionally I’ve called em baps or rolls, although this Barm lark is growing on me… hopefully I wont get too many funny looks when I move back down south and ask for a sausage barm…
  5. drummergurl

    drummergurl Active Member

    its a bun
  6. Bluebottle

    Bluebottle Member

    excuse my south-westerly ignorance, but i aint never heard of a "barm" before! a "barm"y person maybe....
  7. ScrapingtheBottom

    ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

    Bap or roll.

    Bap is better.

    In nottingham it's cob.
  8. Roger Thorne

    Roger Thorne Active Member

    Definitely! Nothing like a couple of nice big baps to start the day off!

  9. Naomi McFadyen

    Naomi McFadyen New Member

    Yup, I was the same.. then since being in the NW, I've learnt some new termerology ;-) :lol:
  10. missflugel

    missflugel Member

    Before coming to uni I called them tea cakes, now being a true honorary North Easterner I call them buns.
    I have to agree with Andy though, stottie's are indeed the daddy of all bread inventions. Large enough to fit a full english in. Genius!!

    Jo x
  11. Andy_Euph

    Andy_Euph Active Member

    See the people from the North East think of everything :p
  12. super_sop

    super_sop Supporting Member

  13. Roger Thorne

    Roger Thorne Active Member


  14. HBB

    HBB Active Member

    LOL!! Just got that :shock:
  15. aimee_euph

    aimee_euph Member

    I call 'em butty. but being the true merseyside/lancashire scouser i am, i say Barmcake, barm or sarnie.
  16. ScrapingtheBottom

    ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

    Once again Mr Thorne is bringing a thread into disrepute!

    Shame on you sir! :wink: :lol:
  17. Liz Courts

    Liz Courts Active Member

    Same here!!

    I would generally say, "roll," but, "bap," or, "bun," works too!! :D
  18. AndyCat

    AndyCat Active Member

    Floury baps are best. Always. Big ones.

    But I do sometimes revert to teacake being a Blackburn lad.
  19. drummergurl

    drummergurl Active Member

    a tea cake has raisens in it, usually gets toasted and has butter put on it
  20. Lauradoll

    Lauradoll Active Member


    School dinners call it barm though.

    Teacake is a chocolate mallowy biscuit!

Share This Page