Regaining interest in playing/banding, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Andy_Euph, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

I've found my interest wane over the past few weeks/months and I'm desperate to get some interest back. I'm just about to finish my PGCE (this week in fact) and have some time over the coming month or so to get some practise in but i'm really not feeling it.

Just wondering what people have done in this scenario, i've been thinking about taking a break (maybe a couple of weeks or so) but the problem here comes that its a busy time for band jobs etc, however if I keep band up surely this could just make it worse?

Any advice/feedback of being a in similar situation would be great :tup

2. a very flat b

a very flat b Member

Walk away, take a break and when you realise that your missing it then go back!

3. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

Sometimes you have just got to walk away Andy. They can find a Dep for a few weeks. It may be that you need a different/greater challenge that pushes you more. You have to do what is right for you. If you stay and are losing interest that has a negative effect on those around you. You have also been working really hard so it may be you just need time away from music for a while. See how you feel then. Its a drug though - you will be back. All the very best and I do hope you can sort it out soon. XXX

4. basebonetone

basebonetone Member

You've got to be very pragmatic and look at the bigger picture-I always say "its a hobby at the end of the day" - if u dont enjoy it go and do something that you do! life is too short. Or a change of band? more of a challenge? I do lots of varied playing and thats what keeps me interested and challenged-it needs to be interesting or u may as well stay home and watch tv........?

5. Martin

Martin Member

Completely agree. That's exactly what happened to me.

Got fed up with certain aspects of the band I was with at the time (not my present one I hasten to add), took a break with no deadline to return, tried something else for a while and naturally drifted back to the band concerned. They were pleased to have me back and I retained my old seat. I felt refreshed and was eager to carry on.

Hope you can get it sorted. :)

6. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Yup, I agree.... I lasted five weeks then joined a new band! Cured my banding apathy, and what I realised I needed from banding as a whole was much more of a challenge.

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Try listening to some great playing then try and find new targets to reach.

8. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Theres a great big world out there away from banding - walk away at your peril, I did last year and I'm still away :D
    I have yet to realise I'm missing it :wink:

9. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Some great advice there from every single post.
    Just get away from it for a couple of months, or for however long it takes, because if it's in your blood it will surely draw you back eventually.
    I gave it up at 24 years old having played for a good band that won the BO, and Top Section Area, played at RAH etc. and I was then completely out of banding for 18 years, but it was still in my blood and I was drawn back to play with a pretty good successful Champ/1st/2nd Section Band for another 20 years - loved it !!
    Sometimes when you are young and making your way in life, banding has to take a back seat for a while, but it's always there when you feel ready to return.

It's just a case of "Play it by ear" !!

- Mr Wilx

10. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Are you not missing me Sweetie ?

Mr Wilx

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    busy time
    couple of weeks
    feedback
    similar situation
    banding
  12. Di B

Di B Member

Gave up playing twice. First time it felt as if my arm had been cut off, second time I didn't miss it! Think if I stopped playing now I would give up for good.

A change can be as good as a rest. See if any local bands are touring and have a space for you. See if there are any empty seats to fill at rehearsals
    for holidays. Going to other bands in other areas of the country really encouraged my playing.

To me banding is something you love and hate, but sometimes you just don't appreciate it because it is too familiar and comfy. Hope you realise what you hve again soon :)

13. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

Alreet Andy mate,

Agree with some of the others here.
    Could be you just need some time away from it all, to get you chomping at the bit again.
    I quit playing a few years back as you know, I didn't really miss it that much at first, then after 6 months I was dragged back into it again and I'm really glad I was.

14. fatcontroler

fatcontroler Member

Miss a few rehearsals and see what you think, they should understand if they are a nice band....and if when you come back next there is someone in your seat, you wont need to decide!

i stopped playing for a year from championship section because of the demands, then loved playing in lower sections again

15. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

Playing seems to grab you in moods.
    I tried 'giving up' when I first married, (no jokes please!), then after two years went back to a very enjoyable playing career.
    However, after not playing regularly (again for two years), I miss it like mad!
    Can I find a local band? Na!
    Out of sight, out of mind.
    Still, it's my own fault!

16. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

If you need to walk away then do it love, I've stepped back from banding since December and I'm enjoying playing for me - I'm actually practising occasionally which is more than I'd done for years.

Steve is right - there's a big world out there and it's FUN!

17. Aurora771

Aurora771 Member

I had a lack of interest in playing for a good 2 years while still being apart of my band. I simply felt I couldn't take a break as there was no-one else to step in. So I continued to go to band and my heart wasn't in it at all. Loved the band people but my enthusiasm for playing had gone. I've come to realise that I was getting myself in a rutt. I wasn't playing to my capabilites. Recently though that has changed. I think this has to do with me being more challenged at rehersals, I also take ocassional lessons. My love of playing has returned. I think, like someone mentioned before, your interest in playing can waver from time to time. I just stuck at it, however a few weeks break might do you some good.

18. LittleEuph

LittleEuph Member

I agree with a lot of the other posters- I've had a few breaks from banding for various reasons in the past and every time I have been drawn back. I'm now having the time of my life and wouldn't do anything else. If your heart isn't in it, you may well find that some time away will refresh your enthusiasm.

I would also mention, though, that I changed instrument relatively recently- I have always enjoyed playing but since I moved to Euph I am enjoying playing probably more than I ever have. Maybe a change might be as good as a rest?

Hope that helps?:dunno

19. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

I've tried to take a step back, some time out. Unfortunately it wasn't out of choice. I had a split lip that the doctor strictly recommended that I don't play with. Then I cracked a tooth, which, the dentist filled, and it then got infected (you cannot believe the relief I felt when the dentist removed the filling (for which the cavity wasn't cleaned properly))

For some bands, that's a lack of commitment. I am now bandless. Inbetween those too, I had my bike nicked, making the journey from my student's house (about 15 miles away) impossible.

Stilll....I'm not gonna bitch!

20. Martin

Martin Member

But, then if that's the way they are after the things that have happened to you, are they worth staying with anyway. We all have mishaps!!!! :)

21. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

Reading Andy's original post, he mentioned having time to get some practise in - it'd be a shame to have that time and not feel motivated to make use of it. I've had problems motivating myself to practise lately, having worked hard to maintain my playing despite no longer being at college, and not having regular playing to keep me ticking over.

Regardless of whether you take a break from your band or not (and any band worth its salt would recognise that everyone needs a bit of time out now and again) it sounds as though you might benefit from more rewarding personal practise. A new book of studies (there are some out there which are musically satisfying) or a challenging new solo piece, perhaps. Something you can work on for your own benefit, anyway...

J

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    busy time
    couple of weeks
    feedback
    similar situation
    banding