Refurbishing Cornets

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Despot, May 10, 2007.

1. Despot

Despot Member

Hi All,

We have 3 tired looking "round badge" Sov. cornets we were thing of having refubished (reassembled, replated etc) and I was wondering if anyone had any experiences good or bad of it?

2. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

3. mjwarman

mjwarman Member

I would recommend: Rosehill Instruments

Adrian Jarvis did an excellent job re-laquering my Strad Trumpet and he did a even better job of doing up my lady's old tired Sovereign and it now looks like a prestige!!!

Highly Recommended :tup
  4. andyp

andyp Active Member

IIRC we use McQueen's in Manchester. It is well worth refurbing the old Sovereigns, they are better quality than the ones made recently!
    Once done they'll do another 15-20 years if looked after.
  5. Tub Thumper

Tub Thumper Member

Our band uses 'Brass Toff' run by Paul Andrews of Wire Brass. The instruments we have had refurbished come back like new! Quick service and very reasonably priced - highly recommended!
  6. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

I spent a day at FCB last week, testing Eclipse cornets (but that's another story) and with this post in mind I asked Leigh about repairs and refurbs. He is still doing them, but only for high brass, as the amount of tubing in low brass makes it too time-consuming and he is very busy making cornets, flugels and trumpets these days.

7. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

I heard 1st class weren't taking on any repair/refurb work because of the demand for Eclipse instruments...I could be wrong though! I had my Trumpet overhauled with them and they did a top class job!
  8. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

I agree. I've seen a sovereign he did. Fantastic job. Still like new 2 year on.
  9. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a number for McQueens? Once Fleetwood is out of the way I'm thinking of treating my 18 y.o. Sov to a refurb.....
  10. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

0161 7943543
  11. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Thanks! :tup
  12. Vibrato

Vibrato New Member

I can thoroughly recommend Owen Wedgwood (TMP's Smooth and Sop'histicated), who's based near Huddersfield, West Yorkshire.

He did a fantastic job of transforming my my very battered Maestro. I thought he'd swapped it for a new one when I got it back! Also he did the work quicker and was cheaper than the other repairers I had quotes from.
  13. rcalvert20

rcalvert20 Member

I had my sov cornet done by Frank Fidler who is a travelling repairer!! He did an excellent job of it and it only cost £52! I decided it was time to have mine done when i slipped over (cornet in one hand, stand in the other!!) and bent the bell at Brittania Football Stadium in Stoke!! So not only was it fixed but done back to its original glory (the valves and triggers have never worked so well!!) His contact details are on He can be hard to get a hold of but keep trying as it is worth it!! (i found lunchtime to be the best time)

He also sells instruments he has done up so you can see them on the website!!

Hope that helps!!
    Rach xx
  14. Frank Fidler repaired the euphonium i used to use, couldn't believe how well he did it, smoothing out a dent in the bell, and was so cheap. I think it was only £10 or £15 at the time and he opened up his place especially, on a Sunday, for us. Top bloke.
  15. Despot

Despot Member

Thanks for all your input guys!

I eventually sent one of the cornets to McQueens in Manchester last week.

I have some "before" photos taken, so I'll upload those and the "after" photos somehere for those considering doing the same.

ROBTHEDOG Member