Red Wine Stain....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Big Twigge, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

any helpful hints on removing the slight discolouration on the beige carpet?! I thought I'd got it out last night.....apparently not as much as I'd hoped :-?
    Any suggestions are VERY greatly received! or should I just admit defeat and await the return of the parents :shock: !
  2. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

pour red wine over the rest of the carpet. Then said parents will never spot the original stain.

3. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Hmmm interesting idea, but a waste of red wine. Parents are more likely to spot the missing wine than the red carpet.....I've already got to hope they don't notice the 5 bottles that we drank.

I think I'll blame Elin if all else fails
  4. manx_yessir

manx_yessir Member

Vanish Carpet & Upholstery Foam Spray works a treat!

Girlfriend is always spilling red wine on our living room carpet :rolleyes:

Either that or remove all light bulbs, sow the curtains shut and nail a coffe table over the stain! :cool: ;)
  5. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Last night I thought I was doing this....apparently I was actually using a pre-wash stain remover for clothes :oops:
  6. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Very useful tip :shock: i always find works is simply soak the area with cold clean water and then take a lot of time padding it with plenty of elbow grease with kitchen towel. The water releases the wine and the kitchen towel soaks it up...takes a while but it works, i've been amazed how good everytime I've done it.

And don't be such a clumsy nit in future! :-D
  7. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Although usually I am chief spiller, this wasn't actually me. It was one of my lovely friends who can't handle her wine...these non-banding types are rubbish!
  8. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Be thankful it's not Irn Bru (professional cleaners can't get that out!). I've always found that pouring some white wine over the (blotted) spill and then blotting some more then adding salt, waiting for that to soak it all up and dry and then vacuuming it works.
  9. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Surely with Irn Bru you'd be lucky to have any carpet left ;)
  10. Mrs Womble

Mrs Womble Member

Make the patch of red wine wet with water and then pour salt all over the red wine stain and the salt should soak up the red wine!!! Don't eat the salt after!:-?
  11. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Pour white wine on the red wine stain, and it should neutralise the redness. :rolleyes:
  12. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

Damn! I knew I was doing something wrong! :-D

I recommend a salt - white wine combo.
  13. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

but then vacuum the salt up when it dries cause it will be easier to suck up!
  14. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

I did do the salt thing last night (before the vanish prewash) it's not too bad, i just think it's still noticeable to eagle parent eyes.....
    I'm not wasting wine by pouring it on though...I'm a student!
  15. Nuke

Nuke Active Member

well your screwed then
  16. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Just admit to it, then jump in the car and leg it back to oxford... ;)
  17. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

white wine does do the trick, it just leaves a slightly dodgy smell, so don't forget the febreeze!
  18. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Or...I could fill the car up with more wine and jump in the car in the directions of Pontins ;) !
  19. yr_epa

yr_epa Member

If you can get some Potcheen which is an Irish spirit, that should do get rid of the stain. This stuff is so good it can gan rid of all kinds of stuff, especially a chunk of tarmac that came in to our living room at home when i was a kid, mother was not too happy! Potcheen worked and got rid of it!

What ever you do, don't drink too much of it!
  20. That worked for me!! My parents had my room decorated for me a few years back, it cost them a fortune and was all pink and white and posh and girly! And I had soem friends round for a few drinks when it was finished... and one dippy lass, no names mentioned (*ahem*cough*bek*cough*landon*cough*) spilt red wine all over my brand new bed sheets :) ON THE WHITE BIT!!! I panicked, she panicked, we all panicked... lol... but we poured white wine on the red wine and it worked a treat! Then we scrubbed it a bit with the vanish thingy and voila!! Perfectly white sheets!! :-D

Failing that stick a plant pot over it or buy a rug.