Red Rot or rust

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Basstiger, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Basstiger

Basstiger Member

I have a small patch of red rot or rust in the crook of the slide on my bass trombone. I have no idea how it got there or what has caused it. I am led to believe this can be terminal damage to an instrument....can anyone enlighten me? And is there a cure?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    patch
    rot
    anyone
    damage
    rust
  3. ibrox

ibrox Member

Red rot is caused by acids reacting with the brass of the instrument. It can be "terminal" but that depends on how widespread the problem is so I suggest getting the instrument to a trusted repairer ASAP or if the instruments relatively new then contact the manufacturer as they should repair or replace for you under warranty.

4. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

How old is it? If it's an old Elkhart Conn, this is a pretty likely diagnosis. If it's not that old (i.e. ~40 years plus), it's probably something else. But best to get it checked out.

5. Basstiger

Basstiger Member

It's a 1997 Holton TR 181.........

6. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Would guess it's just something manky on the finish then. But still worth getting it checked out if it's concerning you.

7. Basstiger

Basstiger Member

Thanks......not that bothered by it really if it's not terminal...just doesn't look very pretty!