Red Lip Marks

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by David Robinson, Mar 12, 2004.

1. David Robinson

David Robinson New Member

After practicing, I notice that I get a red mark above my lip. I'm assuming this is caused by putting too much pressure in they mouthpiece. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to lower pressure?
  2. Trigger

Trigger Member

Yeah don't press. :roll: Sorry couldn't resist. I have the same problem, but I have been given some exercises from the Arban, lip slurs and just long notes -pg 12 ex 7 and 8 etc are good. They are really simple, but sometimes you have to go back to the basics. Do the jumps, trying not to add anymore pressure as you hit the higher notes. They aren't very high, but it will strengthen your lip and you have to learn not to add pressure as you get higher. I am doing them at the moment, it is a pain, but perservere with them. Apparently you aren't supposed to press at all, but I can't see that every happending to me. My teeth have moved because of the amount of pressure I use!!
  3. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Try mouthpiece buzzing for 10-15 mins a day, and also lip buzzing (without instrument or mouthpiece). These will help to reduce Mouthpiece pressure.

Also when you practice, try growling through the instrument. Then when you play and dont growl it should relieve pressure.

Just a few tips! :wink:
  4. David Robinson

David Robinson New Member

Just took a look at them, very nice. From my first impression looks like it'll help. Thanks!

[quote="The Cornet King]Also when you practice, try growling through the instrument. Then when you play and dont growl it should relieve pressure. [/quote]

Amazingly, that worked a little. Thanks.
  5. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

If you wish to get really good advice, have a look at this thread...

advert for Roddy's books. They are REALLY good and very useful, their is a thread of peoples reviews about it, but i cant find it. Consider buying Book 1 it is really excellent.
    Their is a major focus on Mouthpiece pressure and what he says really works

Just a thought.

Edit: Here's the link to Roddy's Review Thread (RT)

6. deezastar

deezastar Member

Stop using Lipstick when you're pissed. It's nasty stuff!!!!!! :D
  7. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

i pressed so hard as a bad habit, i've permenantly got a red mark. It;s there forever now, as a scar but my ex used to call it my Vimto Smile but i still get all sad over it cause it looks awful.
  8. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

I get it fairly often, usually through trying to hard. I find, however, if you use better breath control (not saying yours is bad!) then it reduces the pressure on your lips because your diaphrahms(sp?) doing most of the work.

Also, high notes (which can be a killer for the red lips), the more you play them (particularly with good breath control) the more you get used to them ... hence the reduced "effort" to reach them. Hey presto, no red lips!

Hints from an essential amateur.
  9. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

I get it much less since I had my mouthpieces covered with a non-metallic coating.