Red line...!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Seedhouse, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Hi, I've noticed now that when I'm practicing i'm getting a small red mouthpiece line above my lips, and also a kind of inner mouthpiece rim indent in my lips! (Hard to explain on here).
    Is this a bad thing? Mouthpiece pressure?
    I'm confused! :? :oops:
  2. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

i get the same thing sometimes, usually from high bits... i usually just take it as a sign it's time to warm down and have a beer. There are people knocking about who have more expertise in this than me, but I can't see that it would be a problem particularly, maybe just something that will be reduced once the face and lip muscles have developed to their full...

don't know really, just waffling, must stop...
  3. iv got a permanent ring on my face (any beurghs?) but its only very feint and u probably wouldnt notice unless u were looking really closely, but its normally glowing after iv done some serious playin, im findin it really hard to use less pressure, but im trying
  4. jambo

jambo Member

wait till you have scars then you're in business!

:tup :tup
  5. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Yeah that's what happens when you get old eh Jimmy! :lol:
  6. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Mine is down to the colour lipstick I use :oops:
  7. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

I get one occasionally, but it's getting better as I force myself to use less pressure and more air-speed ... this really is the key in my opinion.

Once I start getting it I see it as time to play some pedal notes to relax the lips though and maybe have a quick break and some water.

If you're really tired though, stop. And have a beer, good advice Lynchie!
  8. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

if i get a ring on my lips, summat must be seriously wrong! :shock:
  9. winterman

winterman Member

Ah.. I'm not the only one then.. Ever since I started playing I have had this.. it is quite simply, ben says, due to pressure playing, something I have never cured in myself (not for want of trying, mind).

No matter what instrument I played (and I have been round most of the band setup) I always have one.

I did once manage to achieve 3 (permanently raised semi circular bumps) at the same time when I was in my silly years and playing cornet, euph and bass at the same time (not literally of course :wink: )

Mike Tyler
    Principle Euphonium
    Drighlington Band
  10. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

I used to get one when I used a cruddy old Wick. No seriously, it was for my Imperial!!!

Once I got my new tuba, and even later, when I changed mouthpieces, it didn't happen. Although I will say the tips of my lips go red after playing trumpet well......

By "well", I mean "able to play loud and high without being told to shut up"