Recruitment Success

Discussion in 'Recruitment Corner' started by Par10, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Par10

Par10 Member

There has been a discussion in the band about the success or failure of finding new players by using Recruitment Corner.

Has any band had new players join as a direct result from listing vacancies on TMP??
  2. liteman

liteman New Member

Over the last year or so I've seen more players go than arrive no matter how many posts !
    Can't just be the Curse of Recruitment Corner
  3. Columbo

Columbo Member

It worked for a while. Unfortunately there are other threads which alert bandsmen/women to other bands also. Pehaps we could have a poaching thread.

That way we can see how many will come forward publicly to 'grab' players. Not many, I suspect! LOL!
  4. We've seen people join just to post an ad in recruitment corner then never return to check replies, never respond to emails, etc.
  5. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

No success, 1 reply to an ad but it did'nt result in a signing.
  6. chill

chill Member

No known direct success here either, although I think for deps it has been good.
  7. Rhonda

Rhonda Member

Would it be an idea to subdivide the recruitment corner into areas similar to 4BR?
    Whenever we read an interesting ad we have to google and end up being disappointed because it's definitely too far away.
  8. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

There's already a standard format for thread titles in the Recruitment Corner - Band, Region, Section - in that order, which addresses this issue (for bands looking for players, which is the majority of the threads).

The problem is that it seems that very few people take the time to actually read the instructions (posted in a sticky thread at the top of the Recruitment forum) before they post.
  9. Rhonda

Rhonda Member

Very few people?
    Nearly none would be closer to reality.
  10. Di B

Di B Member

I know 2 bands that have recruited via tmp.

I should know as I was one of the people recruited :)
  11. BlameItOnTheBoogie

BlameItOnTheBoogie New Member

I've found it very useful - it's the first place I looked when I wanted a new band.
  12. Had 2 signings from a post in recruitment corner and they are still in the band today, infact one is now chairman!
  13. JPCoulson

JPCoulson Member

Then there is the age old problem that if you want too many players it sounds like you have no band at all or do you just advertise for one position at a time?

We have had varying degrees of success for recruiting players but generally with have recruited via word of mouth. (or dragged them out of self imposed retirement "for one last job"!!!)

It is still a useful tool for players though and wouldn,t disregard it.
  14. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Yes, my band have gained players from using this site, but it's a bit hit and miss!
  15. It's definitely a useful part of the site and our band have definitely benefited from it in the past.

The only gripe I do have about it is that you're forced to add your latest vacancies to the bottom of an old thread. The hovering over a thread function then shows the oldest vacancy requirements rather than your latest.
  16. Although I aam totally out of the loop on this one, I know fom my experiences that many times there will be an indirect contact. E.g. one person sees the post for a position, and mentions it to some one else who may be looking for such a one. The post itself did not generate the filling of the position, however the position is filled.
  17. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

We've had 3/4 players join and stay for 4+ years through Recruitment corner, but we've had more enquire about the band as "back in the day" we had 3/4 active tMP members 2ndmandown and myself always about on here talking brass and promoting our band through our belief's and our various news realises, so through TMP in general i'd say we've recruited 7 or 8 over the last 5 years - slow going eh?!

Still just keep at it, if you don't advertise at all you won't get any responses.

JP - when we had a few gaps we were always careful to advertise one or two at a time so's not to appear an empty band. . .

Colombo - I'll stand up in your thread - As MD my band comes first for me as far as building a full team is concerned. Any MD that says otherwise is probably lying in my humble opinion!
  18. Columbo

Columbo Member

Fair comment Gary, and I agree. I'll never tire of asking players outright. I'm a great believer that if a player wants 'out' he/she will make their own mind up. It would be an insult to any player, to blame the person asking them, as it implies they (the player) don't have a mind of their own.

Lets be honest, most players switch bands after spending time somewhere else as a dep and/or being asked directly anyway. Any sensible person would not move without having played for their new band. Thats why we (MD's) have the job of ensuring that players enjoy the experience at our bands.

I think the Recruitment threads and vacancy adverts do work, but only nudges players and tweak their interest when they are not 100% happy where they are anyway. That is of course, unless they get a better offer (£££!), which questions their integrity. That s a different subject.
  19. Just Crazy

Just Crazy Member

Recruitment Corner

I think the recruitment corner is good, i have had some success from there, but you can only find players if rthere are some ouut there, I get the general feeling that there is a shortage of players around.

I have found new bands myself through the recruitment corner but I do agree with an earlier comment that there are so manay post you get bored looking at them, I feel there needs to be a better way to sort them, either section, area or even instrument.

I am currently trying to recruit for my band and have chose to advsertise on 4 bars rest, I feel being able to drill down initially is quicker than readying through loads of posts.

Rant over now