Recruiting Youth Band Players

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by 2007besson2052, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Hi everyone,

I am on the committee of my Youth Band and one of my latest projects is increasing the local awareness of our organisation and trying to get more people involved. We currently have about 90 players in 3 bands but would still like to expand more. We have a few ideas but don't know what will be most time effective.

Does anyone else have experience of this that could give us some advice? I would like to go around local Junior schools, play a bit and do a basic presentation to them and put up some posters.

Do you think this would persuade or tempt children? Are schools generally helpful with this kind of thing? What else could we do?

:-?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    everyone
    Youth Band
    one
    projects
    awareness
  3. ian_b

ian_b Member

Presentations at schools are a good thing. A few years ago we held an open evening at our local school, we took different instruments and percussion, advertised it and let people come along, play about on the instruments and ask questions, from this exercise we gained about 10 more players.

Some school are more helpful than others!!!!

4. AlanD

AlanD Member

I wish we were lucky enough to have a youth band of 90! Keep up the good work. I would love to know your secret!

5. I don't think there's really a secret to it.
    Here's my ideas why our numbers are good and high:
    - Inspirational MD is essential
    - Links to local brass teachers IN schools (telling pupils they teach about the band, often they're tutors in it themselves)
    - Friend groups, people who are on their own and not from a group from a school often don't stick at it very long
    - Hard work from tutors and musical team obviously

Getting children of players to play is easy. Expanding outside this boundary is difficult.

6. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

Presentations in schools are always good. I'm a primary school teacher and the kids just love anything different - even if you didn't get an immediate response, it would be something that would stay with them for a while.

Links with your local brass peri teachers could really help - as long as you're not seen as stepping on the toes of the music service. Working together is the key thing!

7. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

I agree. As a teacher I'm trying to do the same thing in my secondary school to get more kids playing brass. when i started 2 1/2 years ago there were none. Now we've reached the dizzying heights of...er...5! lol

Partly its making sure kids have the instruments to play on too, or a good 'rent to buy' scheme that parents are also aware of.