Recruiting and "Poaching" are two sides of the same coin

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ChrisHatch, Sep 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisHatch

ChrisHatch Member

(I originally posted these thoughts on the Facebook 4BarsRest page - apologies if you've already read my ramblings)

I was thinking about this while picking blackberries this morning. I have of late put a lot of effort into recruitment for the band which may or may not pay off.

But essentially recruitment is looking for 'fully formed' players to leave on band and join another, which when the situation is reversed some people call poaching - and this is generally considered bad.

Now, I'm not sure you can poach a happy player, and if players decide to leave your band you should look at the reasons and wonder what can to be done to prevent it in the future.

But generally, one bands recruitment is another bands poaching.

But that lead me to wondering if we can be more effective at recruiting. So I started to compare it in my mind to sales.

I don't consider myself to be a great salesman, but I understand at least two basic concepts - at some point you have to ask people if they are going to buy (amazing some people don't do this) and no generally doesn't really mean no, it means 'not yet'.

With that in mind most of the recruitment for the band I do is passive. I advertise on our website, Facebook page, 4Barsrest, themouthpiece, in the press, on radio and I explain what our plans are and I hope people will respond.

But perhaps it should be more active - we tend to think it wrong to say to someone "we want you to join us" because we consider it to be poaching - but maybe that's just us, and maybe were wrong.

I know some other bands don't have a problem with it.

So instead of hoping the people we want to respond (because lets face it we know the local players so in all reality the ads can only be targeted at people in other bands), so instead of hoping they realise the recruitment advert is aimed for them, perhaps we should just tell them.

What's the opinion of others out there (assuming you read this far) -
    > Is recruitment the same as poaching?
    > If recruitment isn't bad, how can poaching be?
    > Should Bands ask players outright - join us?

tl;dr - What's you view on poaching?
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  2. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Lots of views on poaching (including a few of us who think there's no such thing!) in THIS thread.
  3. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Thank you Alex - you beat me to it! There's no point in having the same discussion twice and as Alex has kindly provided a link to the previous thread I'll lock this one.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.