Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Jasonp, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Jasonp

Jasonp Member

Hello folks,

I'm trying to find as many different recordings of the following classical pieces as possible for Brass Band and Wind Band.
    Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be gratefuly recieved.

1. Intermezzo from Cavalleria Rusticana - Macagni
    2. The New World Symphony - Dvorak
    3. 49th Parallel : Prelude - Vaughan Williams
    4. The Wasps Overture - Vaughan Williams
    5. Roman Carnival - Berlioz
    6. French Military March - Saint Saens
    7. Organ Symphony - Saint Saens
    8. Force of Destiny - Verdi
    9. Coronation March - Mayerbeer
    10. Festive Overture - Shostakovitch
    11. Finlandia - Sibelius
    12. Pictures at an Exhibition - Mussorgsky
    13. William Tell Overture - Rossini
    14. Zampa - Herold
    15. Academic Festival Overture - Brahms
  2. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Zampa and Academic festival are on the new famous Overtures cd by Dyke (as maybe Festive Overture but not certain). Force of Destiny and also Academic festival are on the Essential Dyke series (also maybe Roman Carnival) but which no. (1 to 5) I can't recall.

The Organ Symphony is on the cd Paganini Variations by Staffordshire Building society Band (probably my favourite ever band cd!)
  3. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

4. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Surely you mean by Grimethorpe Colliery, or is it just an amazing coincidence that the Organ Symphony appeared on Grimethorpes' cd Paganini Variations? I have to say the Grimethorpe cd is one of my fav's also!

If Staffs have recorded a cd of the same name I apologise for being inaccurate!
  5. Active Member

Jason, the Track Search facility on the World of Brass website should help you find brass band recordings of most of the pieces you're interested in;
  6. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

I'm sure there will be a competition amongst others to supply chapter and verse on all of these, so I'll confine myself to just one - The Wasps can be heard on the Hanwell Band's On Track album (vinyl) in an arrangement by the then conductor, Ian Johnson. I dare say a copy will turn up on Ebay.
  7. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

That's the one, I'm having a bad day!!! :frown:
  8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

You'll actually find a wider range with the search facility at , especially for the wind band versions. When I get a chance, I'll check my index for earlier versions available.
  9. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Cambridge band recorded Pictures on this album. Well before my time unfortunately.

If you want a copy, send me a PM
  10. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Oops! :eek:

I've been reliably informed via my band that the recording of pictures is just for organ, not band so probably not what you're looking for!

Sorry for any confusion :dunno
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2006