Recording your own CD - Copyright?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by you-ff, Jul 21, 2006.

  1. you-ff

    you-ff New Member

    Hi all,

    We're considering recording a new band CD. We have various local contacts who can record the music, reproduce the CDs and print the artwork. What else would we need to consider? In particular we'd like to hear any rules, thoughts or opinions about copyright.

    Thank you!
  2. Bass Trumpet

    Bass Trumpet Active Member

    Best get in touch with the Performing Rights Society. They will be happy to send you some guidelines about it. As far as royalties are concerned, I think you can get away with paying a one-off fee to them as long as you agree to the number of cd's you will be producing. I'm no expert on this, but I think that it's much easier to understand than in once was. Of course, you could always programme a few original arrangements/compositions which are unpublished, then just agree a royalty to the person directly, or they might waive it for an acknowledgement in the sleeve.
  3. KMJ Recordings

    KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

    If you haven't already, read my guide to CD recording thread here.

    The permission to record copyrighted arrangements and / or compositions is governed by the MCPS, not the PRS. Usually, you'll be looking at an AP2 agreement which - as Bass Trumpet has stated - is a one off payment. The amount of the payment is proportional to the number of units you produce and to their selling price. As a ballpark figure, it costs around £325 for 500 CDs.

    Not all repertoire is covered by the MCPS and may, for example, be under Copyright Control. This is one situation where you may need to negotiate additional permissions and fees with the Copyright holder(s).

    The copyright to the artwork belongs to the originator (unless contracted otherwise).

    The copyright in the sound recording belongs to the recording company (unless contracted otherwise).

    These latter two points may be important if you want to produce more CDs than your initial run - you have to pay fees to the design and / or recording companies in order to use the material again.
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2006
  4. Bass Trumpet

    Bass Trumpet Active Member

    I knew I'd got some of it right!
  5. KMJ Recordings

    KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

    Indeed you did ;)

    The problem with a lot of these organisations is that there's sometimes an overlap. The best example is the provision of download services - then the agreement you need to enter into is the MCPS-PRS Alliance Joint Online Licence....which is a different proposition altogether.
  6. KMJ Recordings

    KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

    I guess I should also mention things like reproduction of copyrighted photos can only be done by permission.

    Additionally, assuming you go via an AP2 agreement, if you manufacture more CDs that your initial run you'll be liable for a top up fee to the MCPS.

Share This Page