Recording to GarageBand using Yamaha Silent Brass

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by BenDuke, Feb 23, 2014.

1. BenDuke

BenDuke New Member

Does anybody know if it is possible to record onto GarageBand on iPad/iPhone using the Silent Brass system from Yamaha? If not is there another app in the App Store that I could use to record using the Pick Up Mute as an external microphone?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Silent Brass
    GarageBand
    Yamaha
    Pick Up Mute
    iPhone
  3. GordonH

GordonH Member

Not that I am aware of. Using an external microphone with an iPad seems to be impossible (other than using a USB mic via a powerd hub into the camera adapter - which sometimes works). With an iphone it may be possible to fool it into thinking its a phone headset.

If you want to experiment with recording I would recommend using a PC with Audacity and a standard PC plug in microphone. I would avoid USB ones as most seem to overload with brass. I sue a mixer with SM57 Shure microphones as they seem to be able to take the sound pressure levels from brass instruments better.

4. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Not something I've really thought that much about, but there are a few cheap interfaces floating around that accept line level signals if that's what you're supplying.

Depends what you mean by 'better' ;)

Personally I don't tend to use dynamic mics unless I'm close to the source, in live situations or looking for a specific kind of sound.....even the cheaper USB condensers can handle things like 136dB @ 1% THD...it's a preference thing, of course....

5. GordonH

GordonH Member

In my situation I am doing close in microphone work as I record in a home studio situation. I use condenser microphones for woodwind but found the SM57 is the best option for brass under most conditions. In a venue recording I would go for condensers because I think they pick up the ambience of the venue better, but at home I am recording totally dry and adding reverb and eq later where the SM57 does do a good job.

One issue with USB microphones is that often the drivers included with windows don't work well with them. Just something to consider, although my son was telling me recently that the driver supplied with Windows 8 64 bit seems to cope a lot better with them.

6. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Horses for courses :)

I ~do~ use SM57s on things....The Green Bee with Brett Baker was one example as it was very up close and personal....they're just not my favourite thing ;)

The advantage of them is that they're cheap and you can point them at most things and it'll be reasonable (with the caveats of course that you'll either need to be close in or on a loud sound source as they're limited in sensitivity, and that you're not looking to pick up fast transients)