Recording of Year of the Dragon?

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by brian6621, Feb 8, 2010.

1. brian6621

brian6621 New Member

Hello all, I am looking for a good recording of Philip Sparke's Year of the Dragon. I am especially interested in a performance that has a warm, more restrained interpretation of the second movement. If the cornets hold back a bit at the climax, avoiding an overly powerful or forced sound, that would be great. My current recording, by the Britannia Building Society, has the cornets more aggressively loud than I would like. Any alternatives out there? Thank you!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Year of the Dragon
    Philip Sparke
    Britannia Building Society
    Recording of Year
    current recording
  3. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

4. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

If you can find a copy, the original Cory recording from 1985 conducted by Maj. Arthur Kenney is worth a listen.

5. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Thread moved to the Classifieds section

6. Zeek

Zeek Member

Is it the studio recording Britannia did of it?

I have the live version from the euro's in 1992 when they won

7. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Brett Baker has recorded just the second movement as a trombone solo on his CD Shout! I wouldn't like to say whether the accompaniment meets your requirements though.

Haven't listened to that one for a long time, but I recall that the euphoniums sounded like they were struggling to deal with some of the semiquaver passages in the third movement! It was a difficult piece then, and it still is now.

8. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

9. brian6621

brian6621 New Member

Thank you all for your advice! The recording I have is a studio version by Britannia. I will check out the ones you've pointed me to.

10. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Possibly; but I was recommending it for the second movement, which is a warmer rendition than many I've heard. The last movement is certainly steadier than most people take it, which is no bad thing.