Recording of Year of the Dragon?

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by brian6621, Feb 8, 2010.

1. brian6621

brian6621 New Member

Hello all, I am looking for a good recording of Philip Sparke's Year of the Dragon. I am especially interested in a performance that has a warm, more restrained interpretation of the second movement. If the cornets hold back a bit at the climax, avoiding an overly powerful or forced sound, that would be great. My current recording, by the Britannia Building Society, has the cornets more aggressively loud than I would like. Any alternatives out there? Thank you!

2. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

3. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

If you can find a copy, the original Cory recording from 1985 conducted by Maj. Arthur Kenney is worth a listen.

4. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Thread moved to the Classifieds section

5. Zeek

Zeek Member

Is it the studio recording Britannia did of it?

I have the live version from the euro's in 1992 when they won

6. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Brett Baker has recorded just the second movement as a trombone solo on his CD Shout! I wouldn't like to say whether the accompaniment meets your requirements though.

Haven't listened to that one for a long time, but I recall that the euphoniums sounded like they were struggling to deal with some of the semiquaver passages in the third movement! It was a difficult piece then, and it still is now.

7. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

8. brian6621

brian6621 New Member

Thank you all for your advice! The recording I have is a studio version by Britannia. I will check out the ones you've pointed me to.

9. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Possibly; but I was recommending it for the second movement, which is a warmer rendition than many I've heard. The last movement is certainly steadier than most people take it, which is no bad thing.