Recording of the Arban studies on youtube

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Matthew Hill, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Matthew Hill

Matthew Hill New Member

Hi All,

I've got myself a mini project to record all of the Arban studies on euphonium. I'm putting them of youtube as I go. Should keep my in practice.....

I'm constantly tweaking my recording setup so i'd love some advice on what sort of microphones/software you would recommend.

Here is the link - JB Arban Characteristic Studies - YouTube

Thanks,

Matt

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    youtube
    Arban
    Hi All
    Arban studies
    URL
  3. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Nice playing, Matt....Glossop are a very lucky bunch :)

To an extent the software you're using is relatively unimportant.

Normally for solo mics my hand will reach for a large diaphragm condenser, and it may more may not be a valve mic depending on what I'm doing or where I am. What are you using currently?

More important than what it is is where you put it, as I guess you've noticed, and even very small differences in position can make a huge difference to the recorded sound. Things like pointing the mic directly into the airflow out of the instrument - so directly at the end of the bell - make the recorded sound more likely to pick up things like air locks during valve movements. Similarly, being in the wrong place relative to the mouthpiece can reveal lip buzz or some player's glottal noise...clanky valves can be a problem wherever you put it!

Sounds like you're doing the right thing by just experimenting - no 1 sounds different to no 6 for example.

The other limiting factor you'll come across will be the space you're recording in. You may benefit from putting something absorbent like a thick duvet behind the mic (they're often used as a kind of home made vocal booth to stop unwanted reflections getting into the back of the mic which colour the sound) or maybe even using something like an SE Electronics Reflexion Filter or equivalent if you've got the money for it.

Have fun!

4. Matthew Hill

Matthew Hill New Member

Thanks Keith,

I'm using a condenser mic now, I think 1 and 2 were used a copy of a Shure SM57. I seem to be moving the mic further away from my bell as I do more of these as you get less of an airy sound. As for the space I'm just playing in a hallway..... but I might experiment.

Thanks for the advice,

Matt

5. KMJ Recordings

What you'll find is you'll get a better transient response with the condenser than the dynamic - loads of people still use dynamics (especially live or if the want that kind of sound...Brett Baker, for example, asked for different mic flavours and positions for each track on the CD we did with him, including an SM57 about 2" from the bell).

Like I said, my personal preference is large diaphragm and if you go that way you can play more with off-axis colouration to get the sound you want, plus they tend to give almost a fuller, more exaggerated sound...small diaphragm condensers are nominally more accurate with an even better transient response.

All part of the game :)

Good luck!

6. DS2014

DS2014 Active Member

Fab playing, Matt...but those shirts in #2 and #3...boy oh boy!

Regarding technical stuff: for some reason, the mic is picking up your valve noise: where are you placing it? It's a very small point, but you play so well it seems a shame to have something like this distracting the listener.

7. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Personally - I quite like it when you can hear breathing and the valve clicks when listening to a piece of music - it gives more of a sense of being a "live" recording, not just done in a studio.

8. KMJ Recordings

I agree but there's a limit.

It's not something that can't be dealt with spectrally or with (dynamic) EQ but it's easier to deal with at source.