recording of Sunset Rhapsody

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Jan H, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I'm looking for a recording of Eric Ball's "Sunset Rhaspody"? I searched for it on the usual sites, but I couldn't find any recent and available CDs with this piece on.

We're playing a transcription for fanfare band (a really old transcription, I guess it must be almost as old as the original), and I would like to know what the original sounds like.

I do knowthat it has been used for a couple of contests in the last decade or so.

Other information about the piece is welcome too, since I'll need to come up with some sort of compere notes as well...
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Someone might have the 1959 CWS (Manchester) recording on vinyl somewhere!
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... or even have the 1983 recording Hendon made on "Eric Ball - An 80th. Bithday Tribute".
  4. Pondasher

Pondasher Member

Sunset Rhapsody was recorded on LP by CWS (Manchester) and also by Hendon Band. These records are for sale on the KEITH QUINN MEMORABILIA website: -

Scroll down to references CWS12B and HEN5

5. Jan H

Unfortunately, I don't have an LP player :(

but thanks for the help anyway!
  6. Di

Di Active Member

It says here that Lanner & District recorded it. There is a number to contact. May be worth giving them a ring. ;)
  7. Jan H

Yeah, I found that too, but their website seems to be down
    There was another one by a Dutch lower section band I had never heard of before...
  8. Big Gav

Big Gav Member

The piece was used at the Second Section finals a few years ago, in Dundee, and the bands were given a recording of their performance. Perhaps you could ask the winning band for a copy!

I also have a recording that Leyland DAF did for Radio2, sometime during the early 1990s. There is also an interview with Richard Evans where he speaks about a conversation he had with Eric Ball about the piece. Richard speaks how the title is a metaphor and the work describes a journey through life, ending with the passing away at the end.
    Bearing this in mind I had to laugh in Dundee when the adjudicators, Alan Morrisson and Duncan Beckley, kept going on about the sun!!!!!!! Mr Morrisson even said that he was comparing the performances with a sunset he had seen in the Florida Keys! Nice research gentlemen!!
  9. Jan H

Thanks for the info Gavin. i had a look in the 4BR results archive, and the year was 2003. The top 3 was:
    1 Hatfield CoalPower (G. O’Connor) 182
    Bollington Brass (P. Christian) 181
    Lanner & District Silver Band (S. Chappell) 179
    i just saw that Hatfield has a soundclip on their website...
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  10. Di

Di Active Member

Did you try the phone number on the listing?

Also, there are a number of Lanner Band members on tMP. Just use the Advance member search and put in the band name. Perhaps you could PM someone and ask for information about the CD? ;)