Recording of Odin

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by nickjones, Aug 10, 2004.

1. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Just a small question , is there a commercial recording of Odin -Arthur Butterworth , or is there a Arthur Butterworth Vol 2 in the Pipeline , which might feature
    1.Paen - written for Desford I think ( I have a recording of desford playing this at the Colson Hall in Bristol and the piece is fantastic , magic piece )
    2. Maoeriana
    3. Odin
    and any other works.....?
    Can anyone help?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Arthur Butterworth Vol 2
    Odin
    Odin Just
    Arthur Butterworth
    Desford
  3. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Odin is on the recording from the Nationals the year it was used. You might struggle to get it though....!
    I'm nearly sure Maoeriana has been recorded, but don't know why I think that :?

4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

The only recording of "Odin" that I'm aware of is that from the Nationals in 1989.

5. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

I think BNFL recorded Moaeriana ( dont know the spelling ) for the area CD in 1994
    did the NYBBGB record Odin on " Hammer of the North"?
    thanks for you help Andy..
    ta

6. PeterBale

I happen to have my recently-acquired tape of "Hammer of the North" in front of me, and the other tracks are "Triumphant Rhapsody", "Prelude to The Meistersingers", Elgar's "Nursery Suite" & the Eric Coates' march "Youth of Britain". :wink:

7. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

NYBB did record odin tho...

8. Majoresteve

Majoresteve Member

sorry to hijack the post, but could anyone recommend a recording of "simon called peter" by gilbert vinter (hope thats his name).

9. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

I take it thats a no then Peter...thanks for your help , am sure I remember seeing a NYBBGB recording with Odin , Flowers of the Forest and Hammer of the North...Ah well

10. PeterBale

Faireys' recording on the cd "Triumphant Rhapsody", volume 2 of their all-Vinter recordings. Although it's been around a while now, it's listed on the Midland-cd-club site:

http://www.midland-cd-club.co.uk/cgi-bin/item-mid.pl?id=bb0360&lang=en

11. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

What, no studio recording? It's a work that deserves more recordings.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Arthur Butterworth Vol 2
    Odin
    Odin Just
    Arthur Butterworth
    Desford
  13. Majoresteve

Majoresteve Member

cheers for that, ive ordered it now!

14. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Wasn't there a piece called Royal Border Bridges by Arthur Butterworth; I recall one movement being recording by the Virtuosi Band. Maybe the movement was called Royal Border Bridge?

15. John Brooks

I totally agree Brian, some pieces appear to be studio recorded multiple times (eg: Shine as the Light) and others rarely or never. I for one would love to hear a studio recording of Albion (as I've mentioned before) and I still can't understand why Fodens and Bram Tovey have never hit the studio with some of his well discussed interpretations.

16. ted

ted Member

Perhaps the bands that can play it well (not too many around) don't want to risk their reputation by making a definitive recording of such a difficult piece of music.

The next "Contest Music"??

Ted

17. John Brooks

I edited my own post after going home and checking the title; sorry for any confusion. :oops:

18. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Does anyone know if the 1989 Nationals recording is available?

19. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Polyphonic were recording the Nationals around that time, they certainly did 87 & 88 as I have them. Perhaps it is worth giving them a try.

20. PeterBale

21. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

thanks for the help peter and John , unable to get a copy from polyphonic ( out of stock ).
    looks like I'll have to wait for Butterworth Vol 2 then.

22. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

So they do not keep a master copy :shock: :roll: :?:

There have been times i have ordered an old CD from Doyen and they have reproduced one from the Master and produced a booklet at no extra cost.