Recording of Arutunian Trumpet Concerto

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by cjconnor24, Apr 29, 2005.

1. cjconnor24

cjconnor24 Member

Hi there, i was wondering if anyone out there knows of a recording of the Arutunian Trumpet Concerto. I dont even know if one exists, if someone out there could help that'd b great!!:p :tup
    Thanks again troops!!

2. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

3. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

I would highly recommend the Sergei Nakariakov Recording on 'From Moscow with Love' (I got my Copy from ebay quite a bit cheaper)
    It's also been recorded by Timofei Dok****zer (sp?) and Arturo Sandoval of all people :confused: as well as others.
  4. brassybabe

brassybabe Member

ooo thanx, im playing that in a fortnight for my final recital at uni, seems its a popular choice, 3 out of the 4 cornet players are playing it, think the audience might start getting bored of it, glad im on first. lol
  5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

A really good rendition is by Maurice Murphy on 'Favourite Trumpet Concertos' accompanied by the Consort Of London (Robert Haydon Clark). Exceptional playback quality as it is a 1992 Collins, Quest Ambisonic 20 bit recording (30082).
  6. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Off-topic (sorry mods!), but if anyone's interested in what this means, an explanation of ambisonics is contained here.
  7. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

There are a few recordings of this around, including James Watson accompanied by Black Dyke ( Doyen - CD036 ).
    The industry standard is the late Timofei Dokschizer, simply phenomonal. One version is available through the International Trumpet Guild ( and there is another that I have on CD somewhere - I will search it out and post details.

James Watson, Maurice Murphy, Sergei Nakariakov etc all do great jobs, but Dokschizer is simply amazing.
  8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Roger Webster has also recorded the concerto if anyone is interested!

Timofei Dokschizer is dead! :eek: (The piece was written for him, wasn't it?)
  9. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Sadly, Maestro Dokschizer is no longer with us - you can read Ed Tarr's obituary here

As for the Arutunian, although Maestro Dokschizer edited the trumpet part and wrote the cadenza for this work, which was accepted by the composer, the concerto was actually written for Dokschizer's friend, Aikaz Mesiayan. It was Mesiayan who premiered the concerto.
  10. JR

JR Member

I have the recording from the national gala concert 1987 the arrangement was Mike Antrobus's and Desford provided the accompaniment but I can't remember who the (excellent) soloist was - was it Rod Franks? - some fantastic double tonguing as i recall...

john roberts