Recording Help

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Elvis, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Elvis

Elvis New Member

Hi all
    It's 40yrs this Autumn since my band won the 2nd Section National title in London and from a purely selfish and self indulgent reason I'd love to hear again the test piece we played that day - Themes From Symphony No 9 (Beethoven arr. Eric Ball).
    I've searched all the usual outlets but to no avail.
    Does anyone on TMP know if the piece was ever recorded and if so by which band?

Thanks

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    2nd Section National
    Symphony No 9
    Beethoven arr
    Recording Help Hi allIt
    London
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Mmmmm! Personally, I've never seen a recording of this arrangement. Were you with Newhall at that time?

4. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I'd be surprised if it was but there's an old 4br article by Tim Mutum on the old Paxton EPs. I'm guessing, but if this arrangement was recorded, I reckon it'd be on one of those . Maybe Tim's the one to get in contact with.

http://www.4barsrest.com/articles/2006/art610.asp

5. Elvis

Elvis New Member

Yes, I played tenor horn.

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

My band at the time shared your MD, Ernest Woodhouse , from about 1974 onwards for a few years. He was some character (and some disciplinarian, lol! He missed nothing).

7. Elvis

Elvis New Member

Too right! At one rehearsal our basses decided to shield their fingers from him with their left hand to prevent him seeing what they were playing in a quite fast passage but he soon sussed that out - lol! ;)

For all that, Ernest was one of the best conductors I played under and he managed to take an average 4th section band to become a reasonable Championship section band in just a few years.

I also played under some good conductors for a few contests at the time - Albert Chapell, George Thompson and Teddy Gray (smashing bloke) to name a few but Ernest seemed to get the best out of us.

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

The expression "a look can kill" would give others an impression what he was like. He came to Broxburn after the likes of Frank Renton and David James. Only other person I can think of similar in style was James Scott. What Ernest achieved with Newhall during that period was remarkable. After your result with Fireworks, we were ordered to get it ready (... but never happened because of our limited percussion setup at the time, lol!). We ran similar concert programmes to you as well!