Recording experience outside of Brass Bands

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by KMJ Recordings, May 14, 2008.

Have you recorded with anything other than a brass band?

1. Yes

19 vote(s)
  2. No

2 vote(s)
  1. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

A post elsewhere made me wonder how many of you out there had experience recording outside of the Brass Band environment.....just curious ;)
  2. TubaPete

TubaPete Member

Yes me - both recording and being recorded in amateur choirs, mainly in church settings.

3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Been on radio many times having at one point had a featured slot on one of the BBC Berkshire morning shows for a little while, also on local independent radio where I have done several short interviews etc... nothing actually in a recording studio though - only live! eeek!
  4. DanB

DanB Member

What sort of experience are you interested in???
    I did 2 years as a newsreader in Independent Local Radio, a sting in BBC Local Radio and 10 years in TV news. Not sure whether any of that's relevant to anything though???!!!
  5. KMJ Recordings

Recording of music genres outside of brass bands - sorry should've been more specific...

The question's related in an indirect sence to the thread on 'How would it sound', and the answers contained therein.
  6. Mr Guinness

Mr Guinness Member

I've done a fair bit of studio and live recording with a variety of rock and blues bands. I also have a small home studio where I 'remotely' lay down drum tracks for a singer/song writer friend of mine. It's amazing what you can do these days.
  7. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Have done Orchestras, 2 different Big Bands (one pro), a rock band horn section (never saw the band!) and also some Film Soundtracks. As well as lot's of brass obviously!

Oh. And a Line Dancing album. On tuba.
  8. KMJ Recordings

And you admit to this in a public forum? :biggrin:
  9. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

It would only jump out to haunt me in the future. Better to come clean now.

Is there a support group I can join...?
  10. KMJ Recordings

There are some things that all the counselling in the World can't fix ;)
  11. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Various recordings with the Coldstream, for lps (!!!) and radio broadcasts, not forgetting a TV excerpt later shown on Playschool - through the round window :eek: . Also a few choral recordings, mainly with very large groups, including live recording from the Royal Albert Hall.

Wide variety of experience with mikes, including one I particularly recall where it seemed as if every instrument had an individual microphone only a few inches away - very intimidating for a young man very new to the business!

In total contrast, for most of the recordings for Radio 3's "Bandstand" the mikes were very unobtrusive, and to my mind produced a far more natural outcome, even in such complex works as Grainger's "Lincolnshire Posy".
  12. HBB

HBB Active Member

I've listened to some of my non-brass works get recorded, albeit not totally professionally, but all the equipment was top notch, as was the playing! :)
  13. jamieow

jamieow Member

yup, did a HND in Sound and Broadcast engineering so recorded lots of syuff, hen 'mucked' around with it at home.

Also (whilst in rock band) recorded an album at Rockfield studios (awesome studio) in Monmouth - spent around a month or so there, then mixed with producer (Steve Bush - of Stereophonics fame) at his London studios. You can get it at HMV or on i-tunes

Did loads of BBC sessions - like Steve Lamacq radio 1 sessions 'live' from Maida Vale, did Bethan and Huw radio1 wales sessions from Cardiff, and live 'gig' broadcasts from clubs and festivals - Guilfest, Get Loaded in the Park (Clapham common - with Happy Mondays)...loads more, did music vids etc for MTV. Also XFM sessions etc etc
    Now just doing the odd bits of recording (for more work) with a function band I'm in