Recording a brass band with Cubase

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by Shortstuff, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Shortstuff

Shortstuff New Member

Hi all

I need to use Cubase and a pair of NT5 mikes to record a brass band rehearsal or two in a couple of weeks. Never tried my hand at this before, so looking forward to it.

Any good advice or gotcha avoidance tips out there?

Thanks

2. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Depends what you're trying to achieve really.

How familiar are you with stereo mic techniques?

Personally if I was just using a pair my preference would be for ORTF....worth a quick squizz on google and / or the sound on sound website and forum to familiarise yourself if you're not already.

3. Shortstuff

Shortstuff New Member

Hi - thanks for the response.

I know a little, but probably not enough. More of a live sound man with physical hardware, so my foray into Cubase and recording is newer to me. :)

Yes - I'd planned to use OTRF stereo to minimise the risk of phase problems.

Put the mikes behind and overhead of the conducter in an OTRF formation so that the cornets aren't directly blasting into them.

Other than that, I'm feeling my way, a bit. It will be interesting to see how the rig copes with the varied and sometimes extreme dynamics of a brass band.

Thanks

4. KMJ Recordings

If you're looking to eliminate as many phase problems as you can you should really look into using a coincident array like XY.....ORTF / NOS and the like are near coincident arrays and actually use small phase differences as part of forming their typical image :)

You're pretty much right with your placement, remember that the height and angle of the array will affect the front to back balance so just move it around and up and down until you hear what you want.

If your interface allows it make sure you're recording to a 24 bit file (remember that the sample rate may vary depending on what you're outputting the file to). That way you can afford to leave yourself around 12dB of headroom at the loudest dynamics. It gives you space for transients, but when you process later followed by dithering to a 16 bit file you should find that (most of) the background noise at the lower dynamics is acceptable.

Just try and be careful not to clip he analogue gain stages or you'll have an issue ;)

5. Shortstuff

Shortstuff New Member

Thanks Keith. That's really helpful.

I'm using a Focusrite Audio Interface, so it records in 24 bit.

6. Shortstuff

Shortstuff New Member

Oh - incidentally, do you have any recommendations for a cheap OTRF adapter for a microphone stand? At the moment, all I have is standard microphone stands which means I'd have to use two - a bit messy!

7. KMJ Recordings

8. Shortstuff

Shortstuff New Member

Perfect! If the Canford offering is good enough for you, who am I to disagree...

9. Shortstuff

Shortstuff New Member

Actually just changed my mind and went for K&M. By the time VAT was added, Cranford was a bit more pricey than I had expected.

10. KMJ Recordings

The K&Ms are fine, there's just a bit more fine adjustment on the sabra som...but if it's just an occasional thing you'll be fine.

Enjoy yourself.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    brass band
    Cubase Hi allI
    pair
    couple
    mikes