Record Players

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Lisa, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Lisa

Lisa Member

This may seem slightly strange as most people today want mp3 players etc. but I actually have this huuuuuge urge to buy a record player!
    Having had a brief look around, it seems that record players are actually quite complex and varied, costing anything up to about 10,000 pounds :)eek:) so I need some help in making a decision as to what to buy. How much should I spend? What should I be looking for?

Please tell me everything and anything you know about record players! Thanks! :)
  2. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

3. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Any ProJect are very good bang for buck in my experience. After that you are talking £350 up for anything reputable.
  4. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

I bought one of the Bush cheapies listed here and to be honest they ain't much cop! (Technical term). I ended up buying a DJ deck for £100 and to be honest the quality is so much better (twice the price, hundreds of times better). I now have my deck plugged straight in the back of my PC and am in the process of converting over 500 LPs into CDs - heaven knows how long this will take - by the time I have de-clicked, de-hissed, MP3'd and burnt to CD.
  5. Lisa

Lisa Member

I should also have said that I don't have a stereo system to connect a turntable to (I play cds and listen to radio on computer) so I need to buy a complete, standalone type thing...or something that I can connect to my computer somehow maybe?? :-?

I was looking at this:
    Would this include everything I need? (I have speakers already)
  6. richardhall

richardhall Member

I'd suggest you go to a 'proper' reputable HI-FI shop, where they put a system or two together according to your budget and audition for you it in a demonstration room.

Often for best results you need a record deck, amplifier and speakers from different manufacturers, but listen and hear for yourself.

Read some HI-FI magazines too - there may be some in your local library.
  7. Lisa

Lisa Member

Cool, I couldn't think of any shops that would sell record players in the high street...I thought record players were slightly extinct today...But I'll see if I can find somewhere
  8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

If you are looking for a decent deck, you will also have to consider a decent arm and cartridge. With eBay becoming more popular, it is becoming harder to find a good deal as many older bidders are trying for equipment they could only dream of when they were kids. Most modern amps don't have phone stages either, so you would have to consider a link-up phono-stage too!