Recommended Street Marches

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by floppymute, Jul 12, 2010.

1. floppymute

floppymute Member

There have been a few threads recently asking about favourite contest marches, but suppose you were compiling a new march book for your band from scratch...what would you have in there?
    Bear in mind you would need some easy ones in the mix for the longer march jobs.
  2. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Royal Trophy
    The Chieftain
    Westward Ho
    On the Quarter Deck
    The Middy
    Colonel Bogey
    National Emblem
    The New Colonial
    Washington Grays
    The Thunderer
    Death or Glory
  3. Frontman

Frontman Member

Imperial Echoes.
    Westwood Ho.
    The Middy.
    On the Quarter Deck.
    Old Comrades.
    Army of the Nile.
    Colonel Bogey.
    National Emblem.
    Our Director.
    New Coloniel.
    On the Square.
    New Recruit.

Memories of the Irwell Forge Band.
  4. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Anybody remember a street march called "Punjab" ?
    I recall tramping around the streets with it in the early 1960s.

I only remember playing "Army of the Nile" on the street once when I was depping for a 4th Section band.
    I never want to hear anything like it again !!
    As a bass player I can confirm it is a belting bass part, but better played from a motionless seated position !!

"Thin Red Line" is another one that springs to mind.
    The opening cornet fanfare played on a mouthpiece bouncing off your lip whilst stumbling down a cobbled street riddled with pot holes can produce an apalling split fest, enough to make listeners take a sharp intake of breath and close their eyes in horror and embarrassment.
    Happy days !

- Mr Wilx
  5. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

Check out Black Dyke's two CDs of "World Class Marches of the SA" (vol. 1 & vol. 2) and your repertoire of street marches becomes significantly enlarged.
  6. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I always like Beautiful Ohio (plus it isn't too difficult to memorize)
  7. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

All the above, plus....

True and trusty
    Blaze away
    Standard of St George....

....but under no circumstances should it include Slaidburn....
  8. tubaloopy

tubaloopy Member

9. Sons of the Brave
  10. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

11. nadband

nadband Member

Star Lake is one i've marched to quite comfortably.
  12. slaidpog

slaidpog New Member

Road Marches

Andi - I must leap to the defence of "Slaidburn"!!!

There is no better thing in life than playing "Slaidburn" on the march in
    the village of Slaidburn with Slaidburn Silver Band! Played by myself, my
    father, and my grandfather who was in the band when Mr. Rimmer visited
    Slaidburn and was asked to compose a march for the band.

Mr Wilx - yes I know Punjab (or Punjuab) - played it at a concert on Sunday
    when guesting on Tuba with a local concert band!
  13. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

It promises so much early on, but ultimately fails to deliver, going rapidly downhill after the 1st two lines.

Don't get me started on The Middy though what a terrible bass part that is.
  14. Thirteen Ball

Genuinely I'm very glad you like it, and I'm very glad you're keeping alive a part of your heritage.

Alas, too many drunken whit friday renditions and poorly-prepared, half-hearted performances on the road at march contests everywhere have very much taken the shine off it for me. To the point where I now actually cringe when I hear a band strike up with it.

With that in mind I suppose it's not really the march I have an issue with. More the attitude it has, alas, come to represent. Maybe if more bands would a) rehearse their street marches properly and b) show a little more variety in their selections of street marches, I'd have less personal antipathy toward it.

I do agree though, if you have a personal connection with a march, it's a great feeling to march past the crowds, belting it out.
  15. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

1914 always goes down well
  16. on_castors

on_castors Member

I can warn against including one easy enough looking William Rimmer march... "Carnival King" - had a tootle through it last week, seeing it was in a march book with others we often play, mostly quality stuff - yet we old timers had never played it through before... don't bother, it's awful - that's WHY we didn't know it! I can't say I would recognise it again if I heard it today, it's become a mental block!

How the man that gave us "Ravenswood" could have come up with that is a mystery.... maybe he used ghostwriters?
  17. on_castors

on_castors Member

I think I can remember doing Holyrood (Alford) on a march many years ago and it working OK... although maybe a bit too partisan as it is the RAF Regiment March.
  18. Thirteen Ball

I have the greatest respect for a very large proportion of Rimmer's work - but I hate Slaidburn (as I've already alluded to) and I'll never forgive him for the shocking butchery he inflicted on Franz Liszt's 'Les Preludes.'

But with the best will in the world, the huge volume of good work the man produced far outweighs the few bad ones.

As my grandfather used to say "Only mediocrity is always at it's best."
  19. on_castors

on_castors Member

Ah, but perspective comes into it all.... I heard his version of Les Preludes LONG before hearing the original, and as chopped as it is, it's a historical perspective of what bands were playing then, and I sort of like it!
  20. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Through Bolts and Bars
    Glorious Victory.