Recommendations please

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by weesilvie, Jul 4, 2010.

1. weesilvie

weesilvie New Member

Not quite sure where to post this - hope here is OK!
    I haven't played for about 9 months and got my tuba out this evening to sort the valves and slides out - only to discover that the second valve is well and truly stuck.
    I don't have a new band yet so have no contacts to ask - but I need someone to help me sort it out.
    I live in Chepstow - does anyone know of anyone who can help me out near me? Newport, Bristol, Cardiff, Gloucester are reachable without too much trouble for shops/workshops.
    Thanks in anticipation!

2. baridis

baridis Member

Might sound like a daft question but have you tried the hot/cold water thing on the outside of the valve? My Brass teacher at school used to use that method every September with kid's instruments cos they hadn't practised over the summer break! (Never mine, I hasten to add!! Lol)

3. jennyt125

jennyt125 Member

Hi,
    Mr Tuba is based in Cwmbran and I am sure he'll sort it for you.
    Could be easy enough to remove with a bit of force but personally i'd rather leave it to someone with the proper tools ;)

4. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

Is it the Valve it's self stuck or the Valve cap to get to it.
    if Valve cap a light tap with small wooden mallet should free it.

5. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Often use a rawhide mallet myself, but does the same trick!

PJH

6. weesilvie

weesilvie New Member

Thanks for all your replies and messages folks - much appreciated! I now have a few names and places to try.

It is the whole valve that's stuck - I have tried the force thing - light taps with 'mallets' and such, to no avail. It needs professional help! There are a few slides stuck too so I think a full service is probably in order. Will need to see how much such things cost - grrr... (Serves me right!)

Baridis - please can you explain the hot water/cold water thing? Not sure it would work with mine - it's a EEb and there are therefore loads of tubes in the way for getting to the valve casing.

7. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

good luck with that.
    I have a great thechnition here, But not much help for you.

8. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

Baridis - please can you explain the hot water/cold water thing? Not sure it would work with mine - it's a EEb and there are therefore loads of tubes in the way for getting to the valve casing.[/quote]

Put your bass in an empty bath and alternate pouring very hot/boiling water then cold water out of a jug/kettle onto the casings. Don't get burnt though! :D