Recital Help - Napoli

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by aimee_euph, Jan 12, 2005.

1. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

I was wondering if anyone can help me with my recital notes for my 20min recital.

I have to give the audience some 'interesting' information about the music i am playing and i have got some for most of my pieces apart from 'Napoli' by Herman Bellstedt and arranged by Geoffrey Brand.

Any help would be appreciated cause when i googled it....all i got were bed and breakfasts in Italy! which of course is no good for an A2 recital!!!

Thankyou!x

2. ted

ted Member

Have you tried looking for info on Herman Bellstedt?

If that fails you can always write about the arranger.

Ted

3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

4. impycornet

impycornet Member

There are some interesting 'alternative' verses to the tune of Napoli if they'd help

:) ;-)

5. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

what are you playing for your recital?

i think i've got mine sorted....sort of!!......just need to find a piece which isnt a slow melody or an aire varie.....hmmm
    are all your pieces with piano accomp? or are you playing some un accompained......
    ...and why hasnt my music teacher told us anything about the programme notes?!!!

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

A bit obvious perhaps, but Napoli is based on the Italian song Funniculi-Funnicula by Luigi Denza (1846-1922) who was born near Naples.

"He studied music in the Naples Conservatory with Saverio Mercadante (1795-1870) and that composer's pupil Paolo Serrao. He had a modest success in Naples with his opera Wallenstein in 1876.

In 1884 he spent the opera season in London, liking the English music scene well enough to settle there permanently in 1887. Like his countryman Giorgio Tosti, he lived in London while producing large quantities of songs and ballads in Italian fashion and often in Neapolitan dialect. He was a director at the London Academy of Music and, in 1898, was appointed Professor of Singing at the Royal Academy of Music. His songs were very popular with singers and many continue to be sung on lighter programs. Among these are "Oct di fatter" (Fateful Eyes), "Se..." (If...), "Torn!" (Return!), and "Vein!" (Come!).

But by far his best known composition was "Funiculi-funicula." This rollicking dance-song in tarantella rhythm was written to be played at the opening of the new tourist attraction in Naples, the funicular railroad that takes travelers to the top of Mount Vesuvius. It has become a kind of cliché for Southern Italy and is often taken to be a folk song. Under that misapprehension, Richard Strauss as a precocious teenager used it as the subject of the finale of his Aus Italien and was deeply embarrassed to find he had ripped off a living composer who held its copyright. It was also used by Alfredo Casella in the orchestral rhapsody Italia and by Rimsky-Korsakov."

notes by Joseph Stevenson on the allmusic.com site

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... and there's more detail on the site:-

"Luigi Denza experienced a career that would have been the envy of many another musician. The composer of nearly 600 songs, many with a current salon vogue; was knighted in his native Italy in addition to holding a position as professor of singing and later a director at the Royal Academy of Music in London, the United Kingdom becoming his adopted home. Yet his name largely survives, ironically, with a tune so popular that it is erroneously though to predate him as a folk song: "Funiculi, Funicula." Indeed, the highly distinctive melody of this spirited air seems timeless and would seem to stay with most listeners after one hearing. Perhaps for this reason (and the song's phenomenal popularity; a half million copies were sold the first year), there arose the most famous case of the work's mistaken identity. When young Richard Strauss composed his Aus Italien in 1887, he quoted Denza's tune in the finale, under the impression that it was an authentic Neapolitan folk song; this is all the more remarkable when one considers that the Italian work was composed not quite seven years before. Little needs to be said about the famous melody other than it being as sun-drenched and vivacious as a Napoli carnival. The content of the lyrics by Turco, however, may enhance appreciation by the listener not familiar with Italian. Composed as a tie-in to the 1880 opening of the Mount Vesuvius funicular railway, the young hero of the song exasperatedly decries his volatile girlfriend's disposition. He takes the train to the top of the volcano, its fiery terrain recalling his beloved's "charms." Smitten afresh, he returns to ask her hand in marriage. The wry lyrics and familiar melody are buoyed by an infectious tarantella rhythm. Among other composers who were drawn to the color and charm of "Funiculi" as material was Rimsky-Korsakov, who made an orchestral arrangement of the song."

- this time by Wayne Reisig.

8. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

My theme is Meditterenean (sp?) folk songs....

So my programme is:

Tambourin by ??
    Zebekiekos - Philip Wilby
    O Sole Mio - srr. Stephen Roberts
    Shepherds Song/Songs from the Auvergne - Cantaloube
    Napoli - Herman Bellstedt.

They're just notes for the audience...to distract them from me messing up the greek dance!!!

9. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Wasn't also used as an advert? It sticks in my mind for some reason, Pasta?

10. sugarandspice

got that one at home!

i'm a bit worried about this whole "theme" thing.....my "usless" teacher really isn't pressing the point of a theme, hmmmm....... i must be able to connect them all somehow....once i've decided what i'm playing!!

i take it you are doing edexcel music?

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Napoli
    Recital Help - Napoli
    Herman Bellstedt
    Geoffrey Brand
    Italy
  12. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Tambourin by Gossec?

It might be nit-picking I know, but to link these under the heading of "folk songs" is a little misleading: as has already been pointed out, Richard Strauss included "Funiculi funicula" in his "Aus Italien", wrongly believing it was a folk song, the Wilby is definitely an original, and I believe "O sole mio" is as well.

Maybe you could say something like "Music in a Mediterranean style" instead - hate you to be penalised when the marks are allocated.

13. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

Yeh, i know. i only have to start worrying about that at the end of march time though but it's just a rough theme.

i dunno who it is by but it;s in the Child's Choice book!!

14. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

It's not really that important....you could just get the date that the oldest piece was composed and the newest piece and call it "music for Euph (or whatever) from the 16th Centrury til the 20th Centrury"

Yeh it's edexcel. :-(

15. sugarandspice

was thinking something alone those lines....or music with an english conection or something......when i find out the nationality of the composers!!

so as well as the 20 mins your doing 1 piece to be sent off to the examiners? im definitely playing Rhapsody for euph for that, and i've recorded my duet for the ensemble piece, apparently there are 3 x "other" performances to do? got plenty of slow pieces i can do for that if i need too........so for that side of things im sorted...just got to sort my 20 mins out by tuesday.....hmmm

16. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

yeh im playin Varied Mood for my solo performance, and then Andante & Scherzo (easy!) to gain some marks, To a Wild Rose or Girl with the Flaxen Hair, and a trio with two other cornets. The other three don't get sent off though which is lucky but you just cannot use any from last year which is a pain.

17. sugarandspice

i like that one :)

I know!! im retaking last years playing so i can swap some of the pieces around.... didnt think about this years programme at the time!!

the 20 mins is internally assesed tho isnt it?......which is always good.....when your music teacher thinks you play an Eb tenor horn!!! :shock: :D

18. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

i think the recital is assessed by a proper examiner. Not sure though....

Mine thinks i play baritone, horn and tuba. and it's all the same instrument. How rude of him hehehe!

19. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

heh.

^_^ we're doing ocr so we only have to do fifteen minutes recital on a theme, but we have to hand in a performance investigation - do you have that? am sure amy's told aimee about it :) anyway tis fun, less playing so less worry
    xx