Reasons to be sop player!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by probertprestige, May 26, 2005.

1. probertprestige

probertprestige New Member

Reasons to be a sop player....

1. If there is a fire you can make it to the door in time instead of being toast like the BBbs.
    2. You can easily check out any cute babes/guys in the audience.
    3. You can be the first to, the bar, the car park, get the free drinks.
    4. It's as far away as posible from the trombone section ;) .
    5. If you have a grudge against any of the solo cornet players you can aim an earsplitting blast beyond the pain threshold!

And some I got from a website...

6. Nobody sits behind you honking in your ear.
    7. If you are hitting a really good high C you can turn toward the audience slightly and let it rip.
    8. Lots of room to your right for mutes, water bottles, cornet stands and a little table for your beer.
    9. If necessary you can give a disapproving glance to anyone in the band without the MD noticing.

Has anybody got any more?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    font
    Arial
    cornet stands
    band
    audience
  3. groovy

groovy Active Member

A reason not to be a sop player I'd say! :p

4. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Hello Jonathan. What are you doing on sop?!

BMB
    xx

5. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Depends on the layout of the band room? In our bandroom, the Sop player will be the last one out the door.

6. euphybeast

euphybeast Member

...and if it's the weight of the instrument holding you back that you're on about, most bass players I know never take theirs out of the room anyway!

7. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

10 It's the best instrument in the band (obviously)
    11 It's the smallest instument therefore the smallest box, therefore far easier to lug about
    12 You are allowed to be a little bit cracked if you play a sop, in fact its a must! Therefore you can get away with all kinds of silly things!!
    13 Split notes are allowed you play sop after all!

8. probertprestige

Sop???!!!!

I'm not on SOP!!! I'm still on my trusty prestige thankyou very much!

9. bigmamabadger

So why you big up the sop seat?!
    BMB
    xx

10. probertprestige

well as you can see...... only five posts!!!

because i wanted to get started awith some random off topic stuff that's all.....

hows barnton anyway?;)

11. bigmamabadger

Same as ever... same old hard-core turn up every week, part timers turn up for contests and gigs and ruin it for everyone...
    Whit Friday was a blast and Steve got in a mood cos we didn't beat Fodens.
    You missed a dammned good area in Blackpool this year, we are a bunch of drunks and layabouts. According to Roy anyway.
    How's Northop?
    BMB
    xx

P.S. Get into the "repeating" threads if you want to up your post count. And I didn't tell you that.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    font
    Arial
    cornet stands
    band
    audience
  13. probertprestige

fine thanks.... whit friday was great..

lol.... you were really going to beat fodens!!;)

14. bigmamabadger

You know what Steve's like. If we come less than first everywhere he gets in a strop. He's a very disappointed man...
    We're not a contesting band, we're just a village band, and while I love the days out, we're not really going to come inside the top 20 anywhere on Whit Friday are we?;)
    BMB
    xx

15. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

Hehehehe :biggrin:

Very very true! I dont think anyone has moaned at me for splitting notes, well.... not yet. I usually get a smile from the MD (who seems to count them... ) :biggrin: Not that I make many splits of course.... :eek:

16. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

You can buy shares in a drug company, and, after rehearsals, know that what you're spending on headache pills is making you richer.

If someone calls you a bighead, you can blame pressure buildup.

When the band annoys the conductor, and s/he invites you to shove your instrument where the sun don't shine, it's less uncomfortable than, say, BBb Bass.

No-one expects you to play, unless it's the high bits, and then you're allowed to get it wrong, because it's the high bits.

Any other solo instrument has to sound musical. A sop just has to sound....

17. shandy lee

shandy lee Member

You can opt out of playing anything in the band room!!!

"Just saving my lip!"............and smile at the BM,
    Your in control. ;)

18. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

How about some reasons (and general tips) NOT to be a sop player? (All in jest of course, and coming from a part-time 'sopper'!)

In general band terms, you largely get to play covering a range of little more than an octave (Hey, maybe that's a reason TO play sop after all! :))

If you splat one or hit a high note wildly out of tune, it's gonna notice more than anyone else in the band. (Yup, I've been guilty of that more times than I care to remember)

You've probably never heard of a low G, or if you've come off a Bb cornet, forgotten what it is, as well as the fingering. (What IS the fingering for low G, by the way? ;))

Never try and play too high if your bandroom is situated close to a dogs' home. You may get an unwelcome visit..... (particularly if you're playing Bach....)

Eventually, other bandspersons WILL tire of hearing about how many high Cs you got in the last concert. (unlike me who can barely hit them in the first place.....)