Reality TV series following Eikanger-Bjørsvik (English subs)

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Aidan, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

Ello all,
    The Norwegian equivalent of the BBC have produced a reality documentary focusing on the Brass Band scene around the Bergen area with Eikanger in the spotlight - "Korpsfiksert" (Brass obsessed).
    The first two episodes have gone out in Norway and have had a really good reception, both topped the viewing ratings in their prime time slot.
    The first episode is now available here with English subtitles

http://tv.nrk.no/serie/korpsfiksert-english-subtitles
    by the looks of it, the second episode should be available to watch on friday sometime.

Hope everyone will have a watch and enjoy :)

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    English
    Norwegian
    Brass
    Eikanger
    Brass Band
  3. leginald

leginald New Member

Thanks for this, I've been watching it in Norwegian and using google translate when I couldn't get the gist of what was being said!

4. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

Haha nice, I bet that made for some exciting reading, they use a lot of local dialect and phrases round here!
    The subs aren't 100% perfect, there are a few funny errors, but its definitely a mahoosive improvement on google translate ;)

5. leginald

leginald New Member

I spent a good few minutes trying to work out what 'teeth string' was, before I realised she meant braces!

6. phildriscoll

phildriscoll Moderator Staff Member

I watched episode 1 with the Norwegian subtitles, but still managed to get the gist of what was going on, despite a complete lack of knowledge of the language.
    The english subtitles have saved me embarking on a project - I was going to try and pull the subtitles out of the video feed on the fly and fire them through google translate. I'll just have to use the time I've saved to do some bass practice.

Great programme. Well worth a look.

7. Mello

Mello Member

Thank you so much for the Post....please post the next episode if you are able.
    I have happy memories of playing with Eikanger, and of Manger School , and in the Greig Hall, Bergen. So for me personally this post allowed me to relive my memories.
    Thank you again.

8. Backrowmike

Backrowmike Member

Thanks Aidan:clap:

9. Pat J

Pat J New Member

Great programme, thanks Aidan. Looking forward to watching the rest of the series whenever they become available with subtitles.

10. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

I presume the makers of this program were the same people who produced and broadcast the wonderfully exciting, week long, burning fire program. Thats entertainment folks...

11. whitewitch

whitewitch Member

I loved it. can't wait for episode 3. :D

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    English
    Norwegian
    Brass
    Eikanger
    Brass Band
  13. Backrowmike

Backrowmike Member

Hi,
    Has anyone been able to see episode 5? It appears to be blocked for non-Norwegian residents.

14. IanHeard

IanHeard Member

Seems to be unblocked now Mike.

15. Backrowmike

Backrowmike Member

So it is, thanks Ian:clap:

16. IanHeard

IanHeard Member

Just watched the final episode of this very good series.
    I think on reflection that 6 episodes rather than 8 would have been more appropriate to the amount of content available.
    As a lower section player, very interesting to see the sacrifices and hard work required to play at the European elite level and doubly interesting to see a snapshot of David King at work too.
    My overriding feeling after watching this series however is one of jealousy at the Norwegian 'way' of doing things, we in England could learn a lot from these Guys!

17. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

"Mahoosive" - is that a Norwegian word :)

I'm always very impressed with people who learn English as a second language; I have no doubt that I wouldn't speak it today had it not been my primary language. No doubt that has something to do with a few of the errors. As for local dialects, I imagine some of our English as a seond language readers must puzzle over some of the posts on tMP, especially some from Mr Perks. Reminds me of a shop "open" sign I saw years ago in Somerset - "We be open we be"!! Hows that for local dialect?

Anyway, back on topic, I haven't had the opportunity to see these yet but hope to find some time this weekend.

18. Backrowmike

Backrowmike Member

What a good series, enjoyed it from beginning to end. I was struck by the young and enthusiastic audiences at all the venues. We have a lot to learn about attracting younger audiences to both listening and playing in Brass Bands. Norwegian, town, provincial and state appear to encourage participation, no talk of closing music centres and axing peripatetic teachers there.

19. Phil Green

Phil Green Supporting Member

I think I was as nervous as the band when the Euro results were announced! The series really dragged me in and was a great demonstration of the commitment needed and the sacrifices made to play at that level. Unless you've experienced it no one can imagine the guilt and frustration of leaving a crying baby (for the 5th or 6th time that week) with your partner/baby-sitter just so that you can go to a rehearsal and 'have fun'.