Re-Releases of CDs -- Too Many??

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by DocFox, Jun 12, 2009.

1. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

It seems that recently, a lot of CDs recorded 10, 15 even 20 years ago are being released again. Some retailers are putting them in their "New Releases" section.

Is there a lack of new CDs out there?

Now I get World of Brass in their Tunes Section offering old favorites for download. That makes perfect sense and in many cases is a service. For example, if you have a favorite "album" that you bought on cassette years ago, you can now download it. Some of the new releases on their labels (Doyen, SP&S) are also made available. Instant new release cheaper than a CD. Of course, MP3 is not as good as a CD, so it should be a bit cheaper.

But other than Regionals, Finals, European Championships, etc, it seems that new CDs are not coming out. Why? I think I have one answer. Some are selling them on their own websites (and of course concerts) cutting out the distributor - hence making more money (maybe -- not as wide of a distribution).

Some of the old CDs re-released are very good. But there is lots of good new music out there. I do not need another recording of Gaelforce or Danny Boy. I got a big kick out of Fairey's playing William Tell vs. Spike Jones. Or the new arrangement of Leroy Anderson's "Typewriter" using the xylophone in place of the typewriter.

But is it just me, or does it seem like a lot of old re-releases are happening, called new, and really new CDs seem to be slowing down in production (or sales)?

Jim

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    World of Brass
    New Releases
    Tunes Section
  3. BariPower

BariPower Member

Current climates - who knows!

4. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

5. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I agree Doc. Imo, there has never been a steady flow of releases, probably for marketing reasons - eg: launched to coincide with events or contests, several seem to come all at once then there's a lull. Occassionally single new CD's are released. That's just my opinion though.

I'm sure that you'll agree too that buying CD's from the UK is a very expensive proposition when you compare the average CD price in North America; then you add P & P!

I think all the top bands release their CD's through distributors such as WoB. For their own reasons WoB don't carry all releases (eg: Brian Evans - Dedications; Fodens - Patron's Choice - Vol.1 - although they do have Vol.2!).

I think there have been a good number of new releases recently, including:

Stavanger
    Household Troops
    Brighouse
    Black Dyke
    Manger Musiklag
    ISB
    Fodens
    Canadian Staff Band
    Norwegian Championships

That looks like a pretty good volume to me and there are several more I could have added.

6. Simon Preshom

Simon Preshom Member

Simply not true - plenty of new CDs coming out. Name me some re-releases that have happened in 2009.....bet you cannot find many.....

Also, I think your argument is a little confused...are you referring complaining about the lack of newly recorded CDs....or number of new recordings with previously recorded material?

7. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

Both. I think Patron's Choice came out about 6 months ago. I bought both of them. Let me give you an example or two I what I mean:

Midland CD (www.ukcd.net). On their home page they have this listed as a new release:

Variations by the Desford Colliery Caterpillar Band record in 1989.

Or from World of Brass, a new release Royal Albert Hall Highlights Vol. 1 - The Present Age

The notes say: As the 1950s gave way to the 1960s, so too did 78s acquiesce to LPs. The legendary Regal Zonophone label, synonymous with Salvation Army recordings, remained but as part of EMI Records. Improvements in sound recording technology heralded the advent of live performance recordings and hand in hand to this was a series of mammoth Salvation Army events at the magnificent Royal Albert Hall, devised by Messrs. Adams, Bearcroft, Boon, Condon and Goffin.

These were great Salvation Army musical events in themselves and the vibrant crystal clear recordings preserved them for posterity and took this music into thousands of homes around the world.

This series of CDs seeks to recapture that age, all taken from the original master tapes.

Now since this is Volume One, and by that wording, we are going to get a series of CDs that cover performances recorded on wonderful master tapes. Nothing new - a series of re-releases.

Amd the new ones have recordings that avid collectors have several copies of many of the tracks already. Does that make more sense? I hate to be confusing.

Jim

8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Re the "Live at the Royal Albert Hall" series, this is something that a lot of people have been asking for for some time. Whils the initial release may include a number of pieces that are on other recordings, it is to be hoped that future volumes will make available a number of pieces that were produced for the one event, and may have been infrequently heard since, possibly due to the large forces required, or combination of band, choir and organ bein needed etc.

I certainly don't see a drop in the number of new recordings, but I would agree that a number of bands, producing recordings largely aimed at their own concert audiences, do tend to advertise and supply them only through their own websites. From a cost point of view you can understand this, as any distributor is going to take a percentage from their profits, but it also means that they miss out on potential sales as people are unaware of the release in question.

One or two of those which have appeared on Midland cd are not, I believe, actually re-releases, it is simply that they have succeeded in obtaining stock again, or even for the first time, and if there is a change in price etc then it would appear amongst the new discs. If a disc is a re-release, or includes previously released material, I don't necessarily see that as a problem, although they could possibly cut the price a little (and I know about all theunseen costs, Keith!), but this should be shown clearly on the product and in any associated advertising.

The question of track duplication is a difficult one: if a band is producing something for their own audience, and the popular item is one they regularly play, then they are obvousy going to include it on the cd. Equally, any series of "Marches of the Salvation Army" is likely to come up with considerable overlap. Unfortunately "yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice".

9. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

I am not arguing here. You are right, pay your bucks, get what you ordered". It just seems new music is out there and not recorded. Actually, I own over 350 brass band CDs and it seems I get more original stuff from Salvation Army bands. Sure, I must have 25 copies of Resurgam. But hey, it may be Eric Ball's best piece.

And some bands are known for certain songs, and they will show up on most CDs. That is OK with me too. It is interesting with the radio station and the voting. Most people do not want to hear test pieces (again). Lots of tracks get voted off. That is fine by me. But I have to look harder to find replacement tracks it seems. When I first started the station, I would have bought 10 CDs a month if I had the money. 3 years later, I still would have bought 10. Now, I look through the CDs for sale and think, "Wow, I own a lot of these".

Another thing that does not go over well are solo albums. There are exceptions and I never know until the voting begins. It just seems to be my observation that there is a lull. But no one complains about SA bands so I use a lot of stuff from the Salvation Army. But admittedly, some of what is offered is also old -- but at least different.

I liked the Patron's Choice I & II CDs. Wingates "Extremes" just because they had different stuff on them. Fireball X5 G is great. But everyone has their own taste and that is why I paid a programmer to allow voting. I want to know what people want to hear.

I also hope that the station (I pay my royalties, I am NOT a pirate station -- I am totally legal) will encourage sales. So I have a dilemma sometimes: Do I play tracks from CDs no longer available? I leave it to the listeners.

Thanks for the "insightful" input.

Jim

10. BariPower

BariPower Member

Hey, has anyone tried spotify - theres a lot of Brass Band aswell as pop/orchestral &jazz music to listen to for free.

How does this work - surely this would effect music cd sales ? I own a lot of cds but since discovering this I found it quite a lot easier to type in what I want and listen to it straight away rather than looking for the cd or just not having access to it!
    Not everything is on there but wow - its a heck of a lot!

11. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    World of Brass
    New Releases
    Tunes Section
  13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Good quality recordings on this facility ... much better than I expected! Thanks!

14. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

Well, it probably does cut into sales. I do not know about the UK, but in the US, on demand playing of songs is illegal (hence why my station is random). The only time it is legal is if you own the copyright or have permission. Lots of pirate radio out there. In the US they have been cracking down on them - mostly with civil suits.

Ladies and Gents. Supporting banding means supporting legal stuff. iTunes is FREE. You can load all your CDs and make your own playlists and call up any CD or tune at anytime. Available for Mac and Windows. Buy an iPod and you can take it with you if you like (my wife has been very ill, and waiting rooms are filled with people talking loud and now they all have TV tuned to 24 hour news - ugh. So I take my iPod, listen to music and READ. But I digressed.

I just cannot support illegal stuff. Bands will catch on. Some rock bands have. They do not record after they get to be known. They just advertise their concerts. It is driving the recording companies crazy -- as they make money on sales of CDs. But the bands make MORE money themselves by charging for tickets.

Support pirate radio or on demand playing and it will not be long until the only way to hear Black Dyke play anything new is live and in concert and it will not be recorded. The trend is small now, but if you cannot sell CDs, it will grow.

My opinion only.

Jim

15. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Just to clarify (for the UK brigade at least) Spotify is a legal system that is supported by advertising revenue for the 'free' service and by a subscription for those who wish the advertisement free premium service.

16. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

And Spotify has a Geo Lock. In other words, it checks your IP address and if it is not from the UK, you cannot get access. Which means, they paid royalties for the UK only. Only you fine folks in the UK can get to it (they might have paid for Europe, I do not know). Also, they promote the premium service. That pays royalties so the bands get money. So does the advertising for the free service.

That is GOOD in my opinion.

The US laws allow me to broadcast to the world if I pay royalties. They kind of see it as advertising -- but understand it could be copied. So there are many rules I must follow. Random playlists, I cannot play whole albums at once. No more than a certain percentage of the playlist (I think 5% - the computer does the checking for me) can be from one band. In other words, I cannot have "All Black Dyke, All the Time" kinds of programming. Also, 96K is great for internet radio, but would not be close to the quality needed to press a CD.

Unfortunately, many bands do not register. If they registered (SEASAC, BMI, ASCAP, etc.), they would get a royalty check every so often. It cost me more for royalties than it does for hosting and broadcasting.

Jim

17. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

This one is TOTALLY illegal. They provide on demand music and hide behind the DCMA which has specific rules against such stuff. I predict this site will be shut down sometime soon. The government in the US has already ruled such sites are illegal.

It is just a matter of time before they are shut down. The idea that "we will take it down if we are asked" is considered illegal. Before you put it up, you must have paid the royalties AND abide by the rules. This is old NAPSTER problems again.

If I can figure out who to register a complaint to, I might do it.

Jim

18. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

On Twitter, World of Brass announced this: "WorldOfBrass expects a bumper load of orders this weekend with all the New Releases". It will be interesting to see what shows up.

Jim

19. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

I think it will be interesting to see what comes out at the above time... personally I agree with DocFox.