Re: James Fountain - Grimethorpe

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by eflatbass, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eflatbass

eflatbass Supporting Member

Just for information, in case anyone has not heard; James Fountain is to leave Grimethorpe, apparently to concentrate on trumpet playing.
  2. The Godfather

The Godfather Member

They dont stay there long do they ?
  3. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

There must be something up, there not telling usthe whole truth I think!
  4. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

I'm the first to enjoy a good conspiracy theory , but in this instance is it not a simple case of the Guildhall being in London , Grimey being in Yorkshire and the distance / travel being an issue , not to mention the clash of commitments and rehearsals between a very busy band and (I'd imagine) a very busy college programme ?
  5. Rob

Rob Member

Why, pray tell?
  6. simonium

simonium Member

Yes, there'd better be good clear and unambiguous evidence for this, or Andrew Bannister will be on here telling us how Grimethorpe are no different from any fourth section band!
  7. bannisa

bannisa Member

Ha ha Simon - I like it!

No conspiracy theories I'm afraid! As announced in our press release, James is off to study trumpet in London in September and his long term career must come before his brass banding. Similarly, we need a settled team to fulfil our many commitments. James has been superb during his time with us and we wish him well in all that he does. He will still play for us when needed and I'm sure the brass band world will hear much more of James in the future.
  8. Jack Stout

Jack Stout Member

The efforts of 'bannisa' are to be admired, apparently Grimethorpe have never sacked anyone and they all live in a world milk and honey! Why can't we have some honesty on these pages even if it's just 'mind your own business. it's nowt' to do with you!' September is a long time off so I must guess 'James's decision' to 'concentrate on trumpet' probably came as a surprise to him at this time... I've got no axe to grind either way, don't know the kid but do know Grimethorpe have a great band. Just get a bit sick of this constant attempt to make all things nice and fluffy when that's just not what banding and indeed life is like... Next we'll be hearing Kevin Crockford left the band shaking everyones hand and promising to still exchange xmas cards... or was it to concentrate on trumpet....
  9. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

Why does there have to be a conspiracy amongst everything? You know it is possible for bands and players to mutually agree to part company, as is the case here.
  10. bannisa

bannisa Member

Some people don't recognise honesty and don't really want it, it would appear. Of course people have been "sacked" from Grimethorpe in the past as they have from many other bands. In James' case, there were no surprises as you put it as the decision was his and we have known that he would be leaving since he announced his decision to go to study in London. I'm not pretending everything is always fluffy but in this case there really is no story beyond the band's press release
  11. numptycornet

numptycornet Member

I would imagine he's also got some A'levels to get round about now as well?
  12. AndrewL

AndrewL Member

I suggest that if anyone knows any facts contrary to the press release they state them. If not you will have to take the statement at face value. It really annoys me when people look for the worst in every situation and make vague negative comments just to stir things up.
  13. mozart

mozart Member

James Fountain

Dont bite Andrew!
  14. Dr Bob

Dr Bob Member

Jame's did a rock, paper, scissors with RW and lost 8)
  15. Martin Tiplady

Martin Tiplady New Member

Anyone who knows James - and his family - will also know that this story is exactly what it is. A decision to concentrate on studies should surprise no-one. He is a very talented player and no-one should doubt that his study will be his priority and that pursuit of this is the root cause of his decision to leave Grimethorpe. Good luck to James at the Guildhall.
  16. JamesFountain94

JamesFountain94 New Member

Hi everyone, Just like to add my story as Andy has added his. Im afraid to say it and disappoint everyone who would more than likely love to have some more brass band gossip, but seriously just read things as they are. There is no need to start up vicious rumours about either myself or Grimethorpe band. I had a great time working with the band and as anyone who has played in a very busy band, especially Grimethorpe, will realise one year feels like about 10!From a very young age I always dreamt to play with a world class band such as Grimethorpe, and I achieved that!! On Principal cornet! Ive been extremely lucky to experience what I have with the band and the oppurtunities that come with being the principal cornet of Grimethorpe Colliery Band. However, what the press release and Andy have said is the truth. I simply want to challenge my career even further by widening my playing oppurtunities. In no way am I talking down on brass bands but there is a big wide world of music out there and having played at such a busy band and to a high standard, as Grimethorpe always do, for a year and having done near on 70 jobs with the band I feel like this is the right time for me to move on. As someone has said I have my a levels coming up and also this gives me time (which not many people of grimethorpe have in general!) to concentrate on trumpet a bit more. Responding to the comment regarding Roger and myselfs Rock paper scissors; Roger is a phenomenal cornet player and it has been a pleasure working as joint principal cornet with him and learning from him and the band have the best possible replacement to take over the chair on a full time basis. Even though I will be doing some more banding work and as Andy says I hope to still be performing with Grimethorpe on occasions; Relinquishing my position at Grimethorpe will give me time to concentrate on other things such as trumpet and solo work before my course in September.Please no nasty rumours, its really not worth wasting thinking time over! aha! The whole band are a great set of lads and the busy schedule that they meet is quite remarkable.Just thought Id clear everything upJames
  17. Missy_Gracie

Missy_Gracie Member

good on you! I'm really sorry that there are so many people out there who like to make a big song and dance about conspiracies (did you know JFK was shot with bullet made from melted down bass trombones...?) and you are right to focus on your studies, and at being the best you can be. Good luck with the A Levels (now there really is no excuse not to revise) and with college!
  18. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I think that sums the situation up perfectly, and it doesn't come much better than hearing it straight from the horses mouth. There seem little point in continuing with this thread now. Locked.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.