Re -building Embouchure

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by rebecca, Sep 11, 2005.

1. rebecca

rebecca Member

Does anyone have any tips/advice about re-building an embouchure? How long will it take? What are the best routines to practice? Are there any good books on re-building Embouchures?

2. EflatTenor

EflatTenor New Member

Steven Mead has some really good tips on his site, have a look at www.euphonium.net, click on 'education' and 'editorials & articles & playing tips'.

And ..... practise, practise, practise, practise .... the only way to build a nice embrouchure.

After the holidays, it took me about three weeks to get my embouchure back. (I think I practised half an hour a day)

The most important is to practise every day, no matter how long. Evere day fifteen mins is better than twice a week an hour!

Good luck

3. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

It took me about a month and a half (playing two hours a day) to get my playing to a reasonable standard again, but I reckon its worth it. It is a complete pain to get used to at first, especially if your mouthpiece digs into your lip in a place where you're not used to, but I found that gradually I got used to it. What I found most difficult was marches, as whenever I moved my mouth changed position on the mouthpiece. As for building the embrochure up, I didnt do any exercises as such, just scales, trying to play higher each week. Hope this helps. Good luck!

4. Lisa

Lisa Member

Try Paul Archibald's "Breathe" ( http://www.paularchibald.co.uk/pages/sales.php?type=2 )
    It's the best book in the world and will make playing simple and easy :)

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Why do you have to change or rebuild your embouchure? :confused:

6. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

I agree with Practise, Practise, Practise . BUT don't over do it if it has been a while since you played. Build up 10 mins one day 15 mins the next so you don't end up with mouth ulsers.
    A good book for building a good sound is the Wright and Round complete method, using the scales (long notes and exersizes ) will build your sound and emboucher in just a short time. Continued use can only be a bonus

7. madrich

madrich Member

I second the recomendation for Paul's Breath book. Its quite tedious, but works wonders!! Also, if you can, find yourself a teacher, its easier to stop bad habits happening in the first place than to get into them and try and break them!

8. squirrel

squirrel Member

I've had to rebuild my embrochure twice now:

First time was when I'd only been playing a few years, and my uneven teeth made the mouthpiece start to slide round one side of my mouth. It got quite a way round, and I had to start again as well as having a (removable) brace to sort out the teeth.

Because I'd not been playing for long, it was like having an accelerated learning process, and I just went through the same things as before, just several times faster.

The second time was only a few years ago, playing far too many christmas carol jobs, and pushing through that pain barrier (ok, start the violins ;)), my lip just gave up suddenly. Completely lost the muscle tone in my top lip, basically couldn't get anything above a middle C, sounded like I was blowing raspberries down the instrument, and was also quite painful.

Took 2-3 weeks break, to give the muscle damage chance to recover a bit, then started with hymn tunes and low notes, for a week or so, then went back to band sitting on 3rd cornet, for a few rehearsals, and eventually back on to front row. I obviously didn't do any major damage as it all came back within a couple of months.

9. rutty

rutty Active Member

I play a bit out of the side of my mouth - always have done. I have no idea if it affects my tone or range but it's comfortable for me:

http://www.carltonbrass.org.uk/nw8.jpg

Maybe I should consider moving it round to the front? I know that would make the air-flow more direct but is there really any point in moving it if I'm happy(ish) with where it is? I do struggle with the upper range but then I've always put that down to lack of diaphram support!

10. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Hmm difficult one to call. If you're happy with your playing standard and it isn't causing you problems I would be inclined to leave it be. Remember, to change succesfully you will need to stop playing in bands and other groups for a number of months so you can concentrate fully with the basics. I have no doubt that if you get through it you will be better off, its just whether its worth the short-term pain. Your call I guess.

My embrochure is awful, and I've been there - and failed. This is probably to do with me not being the most determined person when I was younger and also having a teacher who was, frankly, a bit of a prat. It was hard, soul destroying and tedious practice, and in the end I gave it my best shot and ended up going back to my old embrochure. I do wonder whether I'd be a better player if I'd stuck with it - but then sometimes I wonder if I'd be playing at all if I'd carried on for much longer trying to change...

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Embouchures
    building Embouchure Does
    building Embouchures
    tips
    best routines
  12. Incognito

Incognito Member

You have no problems in this area, check out Digby Fairweather's chops:

[​IMG]

13. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

When you say rebuild - what has happened to make you think that you need to rebuild it?
    If it is just a matter of having taken some time off - get back to the fundamentals, preferably with the help of a good teacher.

How long it takes will depend heavily on you. There can be no definites, for some people they can take time off, pck up their instrument and it sounds like nothing has changed. For others, it could take a year or more.

The best routines are based on the fundamentals. Whose books you use is up to you - long tones, flexibility, scales, airflow exercises - these are the things that help everybody obtain and maintain the highest performance standards.