Ray Sykes MBE

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by derekdawson, Jun 14, 2008.

1. derekdawson

derekdawson Member

I just opened my Yorkshire Post to see that Ray has been awarded the MBE in the Queens birthday honours, I would just like to say good on yer Ray, the article mentions that Ray is following in the footsteps of his late father Bill Sykes MBE, Bill was the manager at Carlton Main Frickley when I joined them in 1966/7, Bill was always very good to me and I have always counted the Sykes family amongst my friends, great news mate in my opinion
  2. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Well done Ray and sincerest congratulations.

I take it the award was for services to banding and not for lethal use of a ball at inter band cricket matches - the sound of the ball hitting my ankle echoed around the ground !!! ( I think I shouted out "Ouch, that stings a bit")

Great days Ray, and your honour is very well deserved.
    - Wilkie
  3. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

CMFCB through and through, as above well deserved.
  4. Cornishbassman

Cornishbassman New Member

Congratulations Ray

MArtin and Liz Oke
  5. DannyCollin

DannyCollin Member

A richly deserved accolade.

Congratulations Ray.

Andy & Liz Lincoln
  6. markyboy

markyboy Member

Congratulations to Mr 'Carlton Main' himself .

Without Ray that band would have been dead and buried years ago , but now they have the best line up for a long time .

Very much deserved .
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  7. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

Found out tonight at our concert that Ray had been awarded the MBE. Absolutely fantastic news!!!! Well deserved after over 50 years at Frickley and being such a cracking bloke too,

Love to all the family from Gaz and all the Sykes's up the Hill in Upton.
  8. Keith Stanley James Lever

Keith Stanley James Lever Supporting Member

Raymond Sykes M.B.E.

I first met Ray Sykes (and his family) when I went to Frickley in 1978, we became very good friends and the award of a M.B.E. is much deserved, in fact it should have been bestowed upon him years ago. Raymond Sykes is like a stick of Blackpool Rock, if you cut him in half you will find Carlton Main Frickley Colliery Band running throughout his body. Well done Raymond, Keith, Pat and Debbie.
  9. weenie

weenie Member

Congratulations Ray.........very much deserved!
  10. JamesResurgam

JamesResurgam Member

Our heartiest congratulations and well deserved. Ann and the children must be very proud, as the whole family will be.

Both your Mum and Dad will be looking down with great pride.

Rita and David James
  11. MandyB

MandyB New Member

Congratulations Ray!!

Anyone knowing you will appreciate how well deserved this award is...........

Long may your 'Frickley' days contiune.....

(Anything for a freebie at Buckingham Palace.... lol!!!!)
  12. dickyg

dickyg Member

Congratulations Ray!!!

Richard Grantham
  13. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Nice one Ray!

Richly deserved. I was there in 2002 when the band got down to 6 players. If it wasn't for Ray refusing to let the band die, it would have gone.

Proper bandsman.
  14. SoloBaritone

SoloBaritone Member

Congratulations Ray!! You really deserve it. Some of my fondest banding memories are from my time at Frickley.

Lots of love, Jayne x
  15. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

Help out a Yankee -- what does MBE stand for?
  16. Bones

Bones Member

Couldn't agree more, that was my second stint at Frickely and it was down to Ray. I've never known anyone as committed as him to ensure the band didn't fold. In both finances and soul.

What a cracking accolade. Well deserved. Lets not forget his wife Anne, who has been behind him all the way in everything he has done. If they could give joint MBE's then she should surely get one too.

Enjoy your day at the palace.

Rich Walker
  17. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

Well this Yankee poked around enough to figure it out. Lots of things with MBE in them. Masters of Business Education (but that is usually noted M.B.Ed.)

So here is what I found. Correct me if I am wrong.

The Most Excellent Order of the British Empire is a British order of chivalry established on 4 June 1917 by King George V. The Order includes five classes in civil and military divisions; in decreasing order of seniority, these are:
    Knight Grand Cross (GBE) or Dame Grand Cross (GBE)
    Knight Commander (KBE) or Dame Commander (DBE)
    Commander (CBE)
    Officer (OBE)
    Member (MBE)
    Only the two highest ranks entail admission into knighthood, an honour allowing the recipient to use the title 'Sir' (male) or 'Dame' (female) before their name. Honorary knighthoods, given to individuals who are not nationals of a realm where Queen Elizabeth II is Head of State, permit usage of the honour as a post-nominal but not as a title before their name.

I assume the above is correct. If so, many congrats!
  18. Dave1

Dave1 Member

Many congratulations to you Ray. Like many others some of our fondest banding memories are of times with Frickley.
    Very best wishes

Roz and Dave Neil
  19. MarkGillatt

MarkGillatt Member

:clap: Well Done Raymondo,

You have, for many years, been an inspiration to anyone in banding struggling to keep a band afloat. The commitment and never say die attitude throughout the late 80's when 6 or 8 players would be sitting around the stands blowing through marches and Oklahoma is legendary.
    I'm sure I speak for all in the old "junior" band when I say "Congratulations"
  20. strongbow

strongbow Member

Congratulations Ray! Well done you old git!