Ray Farr in Australia - Easter 2007

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by The Boy from Oz, Feb 13, 2007.

1. The Boy from Oz

The Boy from Oz New Member

G'Day from Downunder,

over Easter the Australian National Band Championships will be held in Melbourne.
    We understand that UK brass band legend, Mr. Ray Farr, will be our adjudicator.
    I am interested in hearing from anybody who has been on the receiving end of
    Mr. Farr's adjudication. I'd like to get an understanding of the man, and how he
    adjudicates, what he really looks for, picks on, what impresses him, etc etc.

We are very much looking forward to Mr. Farr adjudicating over our section
    and hope that he may enjoy what we are preparing for him.
    The test work is a challenge, The King of Elfland's Daughter, but a wonderful work just the same. The band are really beginning to love it !!

I'm not wanting you to take up too much of your time, but if you have any pointer's that may assist us as we prepare to play for Mr. Farr, it would be
    really helpful and appreciated.

Hope to hear from someone soon.

All the best and Cheers from

The Boy from Oz
  2. Di

Di Active Member

Hi there and first of all, :hi to tMP.

I've personally never been adjudicated by Mr Farr, so unfortunately am not able to offer any insights for you, but I'm sure there are many on here who have and will be able to give you some tips and pointers.

No worries there. There's lots of people who just love to spend hours and hours and hours and ...... erm hours :rolleyes: on here chatting and holding discussions. It is, after all, what the forum is all about. So get stuck in and join in and if you like what you see, don't forget to tell your friends. :)
  3. The Boy from Oz

Thanks Di for the warm welcome.

I do look forward to hearing from the members, and yes I will tell me friends/band
    about this great site.
    Yes, I guess if many are like me, that is not at band. We're thinking it, talking it,
    breathing it, living it via 'forums'. What a wonderful world we live in !!!!!

The Boy from Oz
  4. S Carey

S Carey New Member

He has perfect pitch.
  5. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Very strange post... ;)

As do many people, adjudicators and non adjudicators alike. You might be reasonable to expect a musician of his calibre and standing to have such a skill/gift though. Just not sure what or why you posted thus... :confused:
  6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

You might (or might not) get a pointer to what he's about with some of the comments said about him on his website ...

7. The Boy from Oz

Ray Farr

Thanks guys and girls, really appreciate the PM's and pointers on the thread.

PLEASE keep it coming, we've got a National contest to win here in Australia
    and YOU can be apart of it !!:clap:

The requirements over here are;

Hymn (max. 6 mins)
    Test 'The King of Elfland's Daughter' - Ripper piece !!
    Own Choice major work (max. 18 mins)
    Stage March (as written)

in addition there is a compulsory street march.

Will all be a BLAST !!

The Boy from Oz
  8. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

Ray adjudicated an entertainments contest (20 minute programme)where I was conducting a 3rd section band last November (winning 6 out of a possible 8 prizes!!!!). I am also studying conducting under him at Durham University. (No...he didn't know it was me at the contest....'til later anyway.)

His comments generally (as well as noting general intonation/tuning problems etc.) are mainly looking for good style and control. He does seem to like a full sound, so I would be encouraging basses, middle band and back row.

Good luck with the contest. Whatever the result you can be sure Ray's remarks will be positive and constructive. It's also worth listening to him summing up before the results, as he generally will have something to say about each performance.

He's an extremely nice and helpful bloke too...so, if you get chance to talk to him...do.

9. The Boy from Oz

Ray Farr

This contest will be so cool with Mr. Farr adjudicating, I and the band just can't wait !!

We are competeing in the 'Open B Grade' section (one grade from the top here in Aust). Usually ' B Grade' isn't lucky enough to have such a qualified person, and with someone such as Mr. Farr to adjudicate it will be awesome !!!
    The 'A Grade' section usually has a top adjudicator from either NZ or the UK and the rest just get the local guys/gals, which is ok but you tend to get a bit tired of the same people and comments. This year will see UK ex-pat Mr. Ken MacDonald (Ex-Black Dyke etc etc), adjudicate 'A Grade'. He is one guy here in Australia that is very very capable of this appointment......and deserving as I feel he has been ignored for way too long. (IMHO)
    (It was only that they'd not known of Mr. Farr's position prior to appointing Ken as the 'A Grade' adjudicator as either would be terrifc, but now as a result of timing, we the poorly 'B Grade' bands get a GREAT adjudicator too this time !!)

Ken's done some wonderful things here in Melbourne and indeed Australia for brass bands. Currently not regularly conducting but filling the odd 'guest spot' and stuff. He's a good guy and a hard conductor to please but certainly knows what he wants and how to get it !! I have played under Ken and alongside Ken in bands and he is a true craftsmen, infact the band that I am preparing now for this National Championship was once conducted by Ken. I'm sure too, he and Mr. Farr will enjoy catching up on some past memories.

We had an awesome rehearsal tonight, despite the extreme heat (35 degrees).
    5 weeks or so to go, you've all been so helpful, both here in the open and your PM's.

Thanks again and hope we can keep communicating.

The Boy from Oz.