Ray Bowes, r.i.p.

Discussion in 'Obituaries - Unregistered visitors can post here' started by Brian Bowen, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

I understand Lt. Colonel Ray Bowes died Saturday 13 February. He was known to many, especially within the Salvation Army, as a composer and former bandmaster of the International Staff Band. He was a personal friend with whom I worked for a period and shared many musical occasions together in the ISB.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Ray Bowes
    r.i.p.
    Salvation Army
    International Staff Band
    composer
  3. al74

al74 New Member

Sad times , great man, one of a special post war generation of SA musicians, wonderful encourager

4. Tubby

Tubby Member

Ah very sad news, great composer and conductor.

5. Great composer and a real gent and encourager

6. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Many moons ago I attended the SA National School of Music . Playing in the Stephen Cobb band , we played Lt-Col Bowes' "KIngs Crusader" in the midweek festival ( Dr Cobb told us all he picked it so as to guarantee his place as principal cornet for another year !!:) ). This was a fantastic piece of music and Dr Cobb shared the story of how , when it was composed the then-young Ray Bowes was told it would be published but it was consideed a little avant-garde and so he'd best tone down his future offerings.

My dad came down to Cobham for the festival , and as we were talking afterwards I was stunned when Lt-Col Bowes made a bee-line straight for my dad and started speaking to him - turned out that my uncle had been a member of his corps band at Harlesden. As a star-struck young bandsman I'll never forget how he took the time out to ask how I'd enjoyed the piece and encouraged me to continue with my playing.

A true christian gentleman from the SA's golden generation.

"Well done , good and faithful servant"

7. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

A truly wonderful man of God and an absolute gentlemen. I'll not forgot his playing of the flugel horn solo in Eric Ball's "Good News" (in 1964 I believe) and captured on the first SA live recording from the RAH. Sublime.

8. Dick Bone

Dick Bone New Member

I had the pleasure of meeting Ray at a celebration for my Grandparent's Golden Wedding many years ago and in the space of two hours talking with him realised what a true gentleman and legend of the brass band world he was. I was never a Salvationist but I know he had a major impact on both my Grandparents and my Father so I feel that I have a reason to thank him for my love of banding.

Many thanks Ray and rest in peace.

9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Sylvia and Doug Harkness

So sad to hear of Ray's death. He was a close friend of ours for many years, conducting our wedding and the funeral of my father, who was a member of his Harlesden Corps band for many years. We will remember him for his great sense of fun, humour and, of course, his wonderful musical talent - truly a man of great natural charm who will be missed by many.

10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Gordon Buist - Thailand

Ray Bowes was the loveliest of gentlemen and I am proud to be called a friend. Ray was my bandmaster at Harlesden after I returned from the Philippines (aged 17) where my parents, Lt. Col and Mrs Buist - also friends - were stationed. Ray conducted my marriage to Lynn (Powell) and several years later also conducted her funeral. A wonderful guy. He lived respected and has died regretted. An example in life to us all.

My thoughts are with his family.

11. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Alan Croft - Stowmarket UK

My thoughts mirror each of the other posts with regards to Ray, who embodied what a true Chrisitian gentleman should be.

I too was a member of the band at Harlesden - strangely enough I used to sit next to Gordon Buist (previous poster) on solo cornet.

Being born & dragged up in Harlesden I also was in the YP Band & before moving away was YP Band sergent & it was good that Ray & Mabel's boys - Nigel, Howard & David were each members.

I was also pleased to welcome Ray into my home in Stowmarket on the occaisions the ISB visited here & also to Norton. Each was a time of great Christian fun & feloowship.

My thoughts & prayers are with Howard, David & their families & will share in the service at Harlesden on Friday.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Ray Bowes
    r.i.p.
    Salvation Army
    International Staff Band
    composer
  13. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Janet Smith(Ashby)

Ray Bowes was a very special man.He always had time for everyone.myself and pauline were the 1st women in the harlesden band and he always encouraged us.He will be sadly missed by all.

14. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

I worked at SP& S whilst both Ray Bowes was in charge of the IMED. A true Christian Gent. Sadly Missed, but deserves his Promotion!