Rath vs Edwards vs Conn

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by SteveT, Jun 8, 2005.

1. SteveT

SteveT Member

I am about to buy a new tenor trombone and I am finding it hard to find one as good as my 30 year old Elkhart. Or maybe it's just me.

Could I ask for a poll on Rath vs Edwards vs Conn. Interested mainly in responsiveness, as I regard trombone playing as an art form and not a blood sport!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Rath
    Edwards
    Conn
    Elkhart
    Rath vs Edwards vs Conn
  3. timbloke

timbloke Member

What about a strad?

I guess money available to spend makes a difference. Not sure how much you'd pay for each but as with most things, money buys quality. I've not played a new bone in a few years so won't comment, but will watch this thread with interest as I've started saving up!!

4. Nuke

Nuke Active Member

ive still got a strad and its very nice. Had it for a few years now and got it second hand so maybe time to think of a new instrument for meself aswell

5. mcbm

mcbm New Member

Depends what you're going for. I still find that Conns provide a wide variety of timbres and carry well, but can be a bit bright. I've been playing an Edwards which can take a lot of sound without breaking....but that might change with a lighter slide and/or bell!

6. Phil Green

Phil Green Supporting Member

Why change then?

Phil.

7. SteveT

SteveT Member

Thanks for the replies so far

Thanks for the replies ... especially Rich whom was most enlightening. The problem is, I go to bands to conduct or whatever, and people have borrowed my trombone a few times and everyone says my trombone is the best they have ever played on!

I have had the gold plate removed and laquer is straight onto brass. So it really sings! Even though its large bore!

Confuddled am I!

Not a fan of Bach's.. they tend to BARK by nature!

Steve

8. SteveT

SteveT Member

Why Change

Well, because the instrument is 30 years old and any metal suffers fatigue after a while.. Wear and tear on the slide .. etc etc!

But! Fair point!

9. NAS

NAS Member

Hi Steve.

I've had my Rath for 6 years now, mabye more (I think, pretty certain) and I can't fault it. I used to change every 2-3 years but since buying a Rath I've not thought about changing. Quality instrument. Well worth a trip to the showroom to try a few.

10. Steve

Steve Active Member

Gotta agree with Neil, every Rath I have ever played has been simply outstanding and none of them were actually set up to my preferences. On a smaller budget I can recommend the Ian Bousfield Yamaha trombone in Bb / F, especially for top trombone work as it is so easy (the valve is very good too) I wouldn't swap it for many other instruments (and probably couldnt as it is black!!!). Avoid Bach's in my humble opinion, Edwards biggest advantage is the Thayer Valve (also available on the Raths) Conn's were great but having owned an Elkhart 88H i find their new ones dissapointing.

Rath if you have the money, Yamaha if not (or give me the difference for suggesting it)

11. Frosty

Frosty Member

Rath vs

Maximus,

As you are in Uppermill why not go to the Rath factory in Huddersfield.It's only a short drive and you'll be able to try the various bits and get a set up which you like.
    If you want a valve I fing the Hagmann valve better than the Thayer(just my opinion).
    I'm fairly certain Rath have not made an instrument with a Thayer valve as someone suggested.I may be wrong though.

Good luck with your search.

Frosty

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Rath
    Edwards
    Conn
    Elkhart
    Rath vs Edwards vs Conn
  13. kiwiposaune

kiwiposaune New Member

If you like Conns and really want a new one, check out Gary Greenhoe's website (I think it's greenhoe.com but you may want to google it to make sure). Not only does he make the best valve ever, he also does scarily good customisation of new Conns and Bachs (which I don't think bark by nature unless the player barks by nature). They're not cheap but every American player who has bought one of those customised horns raves about it. The other horn to look at is Shires (www.seshires.com). It's the American equivelent of the Rath, it's expensive as hell and it's by far the best tenor I've ever played. He makes a gazillion different bells, slides, etc. and one of them is a copy of the Elkhart Conn.

14. Steve

Steve Active Member

Hagman is better in my humble view too, however I asked Mick Rath about customising a bass trombone for me and he said he could fit a thayer if required, I guess that means they can build a bone with one if asked. Thayer valves was just a comparison with the Edwards really. The lead time can be quite a while during busy periods but it is certainly worth it, a visit is always eye opening!!

15. SteveT

SteveT Member

Bones

I have actually been to Mike's place and messed around with mixes..... but I have to say that my bone is hard to beat! But will go up again.

I last tried a Yamaha when I was in London playing for B&R... it couldn't cope with volume / sound! Have things changed?

Steve

16. Steve

Steve Active Member

Trust me, mine has no problem with volume (ppp or fff), hopefully any attendees of tMp whits this year can back the instrument up on that score.

17. Tug trombone

Tug trombone New Member

Bought a new Rath R4 18 months ago - the finest trombone I have ever owned or played - have played/owned ALL the other makes as a former professional trombonist. The sound is superb.

Mick Rath designs the trom to your exact specification - even adapting it where needed.

Valve action is super too.

One minor criticism - but my own fault really - it's easily damaged! Even forcing a mute in produces ripples in the bell.

Other than that, go for a Rath if you can afford it (he does deals, used to be 0% if I remember correctly) - you will not regret it.

Blow one and see for yourself, and you will see why his workshop is full of traded-in Edwards/Bach/Conn/etc.

All the best

18. Nuke

Nuke Active Member

Whadya mean bark?? maybe im playing mine wrong then but its never sounded like a family pet when ive played it, (or is that just cause i dont listen)