Rate your webhost...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by TheMusicMan, Jun 6, 2005.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hey All

Reviewers wanted...

A good friend of mine has started to compile a 'Rate Your Web Host' directory list where you can do exactly as it says on the tin... i.e. rate your web host. I feel it is a great start to what will eventually be a comprehensive rating system for webhosting companies and will allow you to make an informed decision based on user experiences of web hosts.

The Rate Your Web Host resource can be found here and I'd ask you to kindly please take a lookie and post a review of your webhost if you see it there. If your host is not on the list, pop a reply on here and I can inform the owner of vBW so thathe can add them to the list.

Cheers folks...
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2005
  2. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Here's one to add - DreamHost (www.dreamhost.com). Moved all of my sites there a couple of months ago.
  3. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

My two websites are hosted by www.34sp.com
    Excellent service!
  4. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Great, thanks Jan and Robert - if I get Joey (Owner of vBW) to add these to the database, would you be willing to write reviews on them?
  5. Jan H

Of course. I don't have much experience with other hosts, so I can't really compare my host to others or to hte "average hosting company". The host was advised to me by a friend, and I never had a bad experience so far
  6. Joeychgo

Joeychgo New Member

Hi Guys -

Actually you can add any host you like to the list.

If you look here: Rate Your Web Hosting Company you will see a choice to SUBMIT YOUR LINK - Submit away.

Written comments are really what we're after. People tend to lay more credibility to written recommendations and condemnations then they do a few stars on the site of a link. I do want to see posts about good and bad hosts. We want to warn others away from bad hosts so they dont make the same mistake.

To make a written post, click the title of the host and you'll see a POST REPLY button. Go ahead and detail your experience, again, positive or negative. Feel free to comment on as many hosts as you like.

You do have to register on VBW to do either. This is again for credibility.

7. Jan H

Are the review specifically aimed at people who want to host a vB forum on their site? Because I don't have one, I "only" have a phpBB one. I don't know if its possible to use vB, because I don't know the technical detail about vB. I guess a mySQL database and CGI support should be sufficient (just as for phpBB)?
  8. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Alright, Joey, sounds easy enough!
  9. Joeychgo

Joeychgo New Member

Yes and No.

Some hosts, such as lunarpages, dont like vBulletin forums, others, such as asmallorange, do wvery well with vB forums.

But there are also hosts that are good and bad - regardless of the kind of site you have. Maybe their support is terrible, or they have alot of downtime. Or maybe support is very good.

SO, I guess it all depends. I would say feel free to post regardless.
  10. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

Of course, the best webhost around on the face of this planet has got to be......

drum roll please...

the MouthPiece