Rare Marches sheet music Required

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Columbo, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Columbo

Columbo Member

I am looking the set of music for 4 Marches please.

Oliver by George Thompson. I've asked for this one before with no luck

The British Bandsman by Derek Broadbent- This was written for and played in 1987 at the British Bandsman Centenery Concert, Free Trade Hall Manchester after the Open that day (Dyke, Imps and Besses), which I was lucky enough to play in.

Pelorus Jack - Not Sure who wrote this- I know Besses have this as I played it several years ago with them and there is some significance for Besses and also for me. The problem is, I don't know anyone at Besses now. Can anyone help me please?

Around the World - Again, not sure, - Another Besses one.

Please PM me or post suggestions. Thankyou.
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  2. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Pelorus Jack was written by Alex Owen during the 2nd World Tour (while they were on one of the antipodean boat trips). It's never been published and Bands that have it and aren't Besses shouldn't have. It's also exceedingly difficult as you'll remember. It's partner is "Around the World" that was written in 1906 for the first World Tour and is published in a (slightly) edited version from Jagrins.
  3. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

What's the situation with regard to copyright etc on some of these great old marches? I fully appreciate that Besses are currently the only band with the right to play them, but wouldn't it be a shame if they couldn't get a wider airing? After all, and without meaning any disrespect, they could be largely lost to the masses now Besses don't regularly broadcast.
  4. KMJ Recordings

They original manuscripts are out of copyright - Owen died in 1920 - although it's entirely possible that there are 'editions' that were created with a purpose of extending the lifetime of the protection.

You're quite right....it's a desperately difficult situation....

When, as one of the Directors of Besses o' th' Barn Ltd, I pushed for the publication of some of the Owen works (the ones that are currently in the Jagrins collection which include Around the World, Rossini's Works, Tristan und Isolde....I think Die Walkure was on the list....and a couple of solos etc) the idea was to open up these fabulous pieces to a wider audience and a greater number of Bands.

My reasoning behind 'withholding' (for want of a better word) a few things - which included Pelorus Jack - was that I personally wanted (in addition to it being a collective ask) at least some things that remained sacrosanct to Besses - it was engrained into me by my Dad who ran the Band from the early 1970s until he died in 1987 and also by my environment...Dyke have similar gems locked away, my argument was why shouldn't Besses....

Situations have of course changed since, but part of me doesn't want to relinquish what once was.
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  5. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

That I can fully understand and as as say makes things difficult. I'm not sure I'd want to be the person in the position of deciding whether the greater value in the work was by keeping it exclusive or releasing for a wider audience. To me it seems a similar situation to the Salvationist library. Maybe the time has come to think that the works have been exclusive for long enough and now it is time they were enjoyed by all.
  6. KMJ Recordings

Yep - TBH there isn't a huge amount left.....just the march and more of the (>25 minute) selections...some of which are much better than others....a lot of the other 'more popular' stuff like Richard III, Judex and Ruy Blas were published by R Smith and others (if memory serves - I'm getting old ;) ).
  7. Keith Stanley James Lever

Keith Stanley James Lever Supporting Member

Jason, I believe "The British Bandsman" by Derek Broadbent was published by Rosehill Music. Try Mary Durno at Just Music (01355 245674), she is very good at getting hold of music that's difficult to obtain. KSJ.
  8. Columbo

Columbo Member

Cheers all. I have to agree that, Besses, not being as prominent as once was, and I too have great memories of the band and of your Father Keith (Johnson), I believe its a shame that these great works are hidden away. It makes me hope and wish Besses work their way back to the Peak of brass banding, as its demise (not saying that they are! Back off!) scares me and these works to be lost without anyone having the power to bring them back. If anything, its one good reason for all to support bands like Besses and remember to support its heritage. Maybe, one day even I'll return as always intended!

I'd love to see them back up there again.
  9. KMJ Recordings

Yep, me too.
  10. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

A hypothetical and slightly provocative question - in light of the fact that I'm sure I recall hearing 'Pelorus Jack' played on the radio many years ago, presumably recordings exist... What would the Besses position be if somebody reverse-engineered the score from listening back to it?

And, no, I haven't done this, before anyone asks!

While I do sympathise with the current situation, it does seem to me to be a great shame. I remember it as being a brilliant contest march - wouldn't it be nice to hear it rattling round the streets on Whit Friday?
  11. Columbo

Columbo Member

If you had that radio recording, I would welcome it as I played on and had it once over, however all my 'listen to the band' Besses recordings from the 86-89 era have seemed to disappeared.
  12. KMJ Recordings

It depends on if you find someone who actually knows what it is :rolleyes:

Technically, there's no legal impediment to someone doing this - it's just a case of moral judgement.

I seem to remember Besses going out with Around the World at one point...not sure about the results they got with it....I know they won the Brass in Concert march contest with it in (around) 2000/2001. IMO this is the 'better' march....I know I wouldn't want to be playing 12 of them in a row.

I'll see what's floating around and at my mum's....I know I've got some of my 'second stint' things from the mid to late 90s....but I'm not sure what remains of the teenage years :eek:
  13. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

'Around the World' was the best and most difficult march I've ever played.
    It's a corker.