Rapid Repairs...

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by BrianT, Apr 15, 2008.

1. BrianT

BrianT Member

Last week during a rehearsal, the high-hat pedal failed. After years of being tightened and loosened, the thread in the aluminium (why did they make it of aluminium??) nut finally failed. The nut sandwiches the top hi-hat cymbal between felts, and fastens the cymbal to the chrome clutch that itself fastens by a thumbscrew to the vertical high-hat rod.

There are no drum shops close to Wantage, and realising that the thread was a non-standard size (metric fine, I was told), eventually I asked in my local bike shop. They rummaged through their nut drawer and gave me for free a couple of nuts with a matching thread. And made of steel too, so they won't wear out.

So now the high-hat is fixed, and I saved a few quid! And it's not just a makeshift repair either. (Smug!)
  2. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

Well done - but are you sure it wasn't sabotage :biggrin:
  3. BIG Paul

BIG Paul Member

for nuts bolts etc I always go to our local engineers supplies. I even make the music stand bolts out of standard bolts for about 2P each
  4. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

You guys are clever. Do you mend washing machines as well? or put new glass in garden shed windows? Seriously where do you get new glass for a shed?
  5. BoBo

BoBo Member

Is this an oblique reference to shed builders?

You need someone who will cut glass to size for you, try a windows/double glazing place.
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  6. BrianT

BrianT Member

I mended our washing machine. Don't know about garden sheds though. Talking of sheds does remind me - when my parents were having their shed put up, one of the workmen was banging in screws with a pair of pliers. Surprisingly the shed is still standing 30 years later...