Ransome Resurgence

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by Kerwintootle, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

After a challenging few months of uncertainty Ransome Brass Band are delighted to announce that Simon Kerwin has taken over as musical director. This heralds a new era for the band after a period of dwindling members. The band has already made a few new signings as well as attracting former members.

Simon Kerwin brings with him a wealth of experience that has seen him live in Norway, Scotland and New Zealand as composer, conductor and tuba soloist. Simon said of his appointment, ā€œ I am ecstatic that Ransomes have got over a very turbulent time and that the dedicated core of players have been vociferous in keeping the band together. Iā€™m looking forward to guiding the band back to the contest platform and reclaiming their position as one of the best bands in the country.ā€

The band is building their engagement calendar and is celebrating their 70th anniversary this year. It is hoped that the band will go on tour next year.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2007
  2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Ransome Brass Band
    Simon Kerwin
    Ransome Resurgence
    Ransomes
    months of uncertainty Ransome Brass Band
  3. Dago

Dago Member

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

4. zak

zak Member

All the best for the band as they have been through testing times but it's a bit early to be announcing a resurgence I think. A good start made with the appointment of Simon I agree but let's not run before we can walk. It's players that make the band surely.

Good look to the band for the future!!!! :clap:

5. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

Thanks for the messages.

The last thing I want to get into is a tit for tat argument. But (;) ) the word resurgence means :

resurgence, revitalization, revitalisation, revivification
    bringing again into activity and prominence

I have been down myself to Ransomes several times to play and there are in fact a core of dedicated players there and that's why they are looking to move on. I think that with a recruitment drive and planning an overseas tour together with the setting up of a youth training program would qualify as a resurgence.

As a brass band player who has (like everyone else) seen so many brass bands disappear I personally think that this is a wonderful piece of news that they haven't thrown in the towel.

Thanks again.

Alex

Last edited: Aug 27, 2007
  6. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

You can't please everyone. People moan when bands fold, people moan when bands appear to be unfolding.

7. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

When I played for Nottingham City Transport, Ransomes were one of the bands we wanted to beat; they were a quality outfit and I hope to see them back near the top again. Over the years I've seen a few bands that I enjoyed a "local rivalry" with disappear - Point of Ayr, William Davis, Rhodian Brass - and NCT themselves are sadly no more. I'd hate to see any more go.

Good luck to Ransomes and I hope to hear more about their resurgance soon.

8. smaca

smaca Active Member

Very positive news, very positive appointment and very positive future.

Good luck to all invloved, and great to hear there is some energy and enthusiasm in building a famous band again.:clap:

As for the negative comments, yesterday's history tomorrows a mystery.;)

PS

With regards to the words positive and negative in my comments, the positives win 3-1

9. weenie

weenie Member

Best of luck for the future to all at Ransomes. (and hello to Jim & Tanya....may see you at Pontins??)

10. kensar

kensar Member

Great news. We cannot afford as a movement to lose any more bands. Best wishes to all at Ransomes. Be positive and learn from past experiences.

11. HUDDSBASSBONE

HUDDSBASSBONE Member

Best of luck to all those at Ransomes - good to see a band's resurgance as opposed to demise!!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Ransome Brass Band
    Simon Kerwin
    Ransome Resurgence
    Ransomes
    months of uncertainty Ransome Brass Band
  13. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

Good luck Ransomes - it's always good to hear when a band finds new impetus. Its also good to hear the guy in the middle speaking so positively and is obviously very passionate about his new role.

14. agentorange

agentorange Member

Great appointent, congratulations and good luck for the future.

15. Fendall

Fendall Member

Simon, all the best with the new project, we will be watching (as always) with interest from afar.