Rangefinder Soprano Cornet Mouthepiece.

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by sop 1, Aug 20, 2009.

1. sop 1

sop 1 Member

Hi,
    Im trying to get hold of a Rangefinder sop mouthpiece,think they were popular in the Salvation Army?
    If anyone has one and is willing to sell it please PM me. :biggrin:

CHEERS

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Soprano Cornet Mouthepiece
    Im
    Salvation Army
    Rangefinder sop mouthpiece
    Rangefinder Soprano Cornet Mouthepiece
  3. Kjata

Kjata Member

whats wrong with the dennis wicks??

4. sop 1

sop 1 Member

Horrid things!!!!! :eek:

5. Kjata

Kjata Member

WHHAAT??
    The only mouthpiece to use, anyhoo back on topic I don't have a rangefinder mouthpiece!
    I realise that's it's weird to reply saying 'no' but hey lol!! ;)

6. sop 1

sop 1 Member

DW sop mouthpieces are just wrong lol.
    But thanks for that!!! :biggrin:

7. Columbo

Columbo Member

I could do with a range/pitch/anti glass lip/stamina finder cornet mouthpiece. Any ideas and any one says practice I won't be happy! smart A***E answers not welcomed!

Seriousy, I am wanting to try an alternative mouthpiece as I pick up the instrument again after some years.

8. sop 1

sop 1 Member

Cornet or Sop?

9. Columbo

Columbo Member

Bb Cornet. I've never experimented with mouthpieces as I've always stuck with Wicks and Yamaha's. Any advice on more relaxing mouthpieces is greatly appreciated.

10. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Some background on the Rangefinder mouthpieces -

They were manufactured by the Salvation Army when the SA had its own instrument factory. I learned to play on a Bb cornet one, and later used one on baritone in the mid-1970s (I use a DW now, but I still have my old baritone Rangefinder).

The SA sold the instrument factory to Besson in the 1960s (I believe - could be wrong on this one) and so it's probably been about 40 years since this mouthpiece was produced.

Structurally, they are very similar to Remington mouthpieces from the 1950s.

They seem to have been more popular with people playing Eb instruments than Bb, for some reason.

11. sop 1

sop 1 Member

Thank you :clap:
    Dont suppose u know anyone who has a sop one? ;)

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Soprano Cornet Mouthepiece
    Im
    Salvation Army
    Rangefinder sop mouthpiece
    Rangefinder Soprano Cornet Mouthepiece
  13. sop 1

sop 1 Member

Try a Warburton,very comfortable on the chops

14. small split

small split New Member

If I can just jump in to defend Mr. Sop 1, there are many alternatives to the denis wick sop mouthpiece. I have one, I use it as a paperweight. Warburtons are the way forward, they are very comfy and with the changeable cup/shank you can find the ideal combination.

Sop1 knows his stuff about mouthpieces. He's tried a few in his time, and annoyingly he sounds great on all of them! I may be able to get my hands on a rangefinder, I'll keep an eye out mate.

15. sop 1

sop 1 Member

Hi mate,thanks for that :biggrin:
    If u could get hold of one i would appreciate it :clap:

16. Columbo

Columbo Member

Cheers, any idea where I can get one? :tup

17. sop 1

sop 1 Member

Always loads on ebay,but John Packers and Trevor Jones sell them.

18. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

How did we ever cope when the only choice was Rangefinder or Cosicup?

who could we give our money to?

19. sop 1

sop 1 Member

Come on people,one of u SA guys must have one going spare? :confused:

20. Par10

Par10 Member

Hi Sop 1

I have one, it has a gold plated rim and although you can just see some faint scratchs on the rim there are no major dings that could cause you a problem, all in all it is in pretty good condition considering how old it must be, I remember these when I was a lad playing in SA bands and my little blue hymn tune book still has the advertisement for the Rangefinder mouthpieces.

If you are still interested please pm me

21. Columbo

Columbo Member

This is quite informative. Check it out. Gives you all the info you need. It does not compare Wick Mouthpieces though, therefore, if anyone knows................?

I would think this is best Wick comparison?

M - Medium depth with a modified "V" style shape. Our M cups outsell all other models as they lend themselves well to all playing situations from jazz to symphonic.

http://www.warburton-usa.com/index.php/trumpet-cornet-and-flugelhorn-mouthpieces

Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
  22. Columbo

Columbo Member

I lied! It does have wick info for comparisons! As usual, I didn't pay attention to the detail!