Range of Cornet, Flugel and ...

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by T'Psych, Nov 19, 2008.

1. T'Psych

T'Psych New Member

Forgive me for what is probably a very simple question (as a newbie).

I have a cornet, a flugel and . . . sorry to mention . . . a trumpet. (All of different antiquity).

What is is about the instrument that influences my range? I can manage G above staff on flugel highest, can just torture a C (2 ledgers above) but can manage a F above that on the trumpet. Conversely I can manage 3 breathy pedal tones on the flugel but struggle with 2 on the cornet and non on the trumpet.

Why should this be so? This is not another fruitless question about a newcomer extendign range. I have more notes already than I know what to do with :D! But more to understand the physics of the things.
  2. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

They are three different instruments.

Just because they are the same pitch doesn't mean they can do the same things.

I don't claim to be an expert or have any knowledge on this subject other than that.
    TrumpetMike will have a better explanation for you about different sizes, types of bore, mouthpieces, resistence etc.etc.

*Insert insult here*
  3. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

Don`t know the physics but my range on flugel is octave below the f sharp ( missing out f and e but all the other chromatics are there). Didn`t say they were pretty but usually use them as part of my warm up. At other end I can comfortably get up to the D above the stave (depending on nice runs up - not coming in cold on a contest stage on a D of course!). Have occasionally managed to squeak higher but I don`t practice up there as our music doesn`t require it. There - the shame - Lazybones admits only doing the bare necessities...
  4. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Tone, if you move *Insert insult here* into your siggy, you'll get a nomination for best siggy next year!!!
  5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Different mouthpieces?
  6. T'Psych

T'Psych New Member

That would be my guess. Presumably since the vibration is generated by the interaction between my lips and the mouthpiece then that has to be a big influence. But changing mouthpieces on trumpet and cornet doesn't seem to effect the range. Also opinions are often divided as to whether mouthpieces contribute to gaining range.

Of course there could be a big placebo effect? But I was wondering if the instrument itself (ie bore or ease of blowing might affect the muscle-tone I have to achieve to prevent leakage) can effect your range.

The things that go through the mind when playing exercises!
  7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

All that you mention could contribute as well. I try to think that we all adapt to the mouthpiece and instrument to get what we want others to hear. If the changes in the mouthpiece/instrument are great, then the harder it is to make those adjustments to compensate.
  8. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

That a promise?
  9. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

Well, if not the best it'll probably be the longest ;)
  10. MarkGillatt

MarkGillatt Member

About 40 metres is my best, except the flugal which is a bit harder to throw, I am working my right arm really hard tho and aim to be able to throw them all 50metres plus next year :)
  11. TubaGeek

TubaGeek Member

Could it be something to do with the fact that a trumpet is a cylindrical bore instrument whereas a cornet is conical bore and flugel even more so than the cornet? I don't know what I'm talking about really, but I remember listening in on someone else having this conversation once before.
  12. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

Check out your footwork...Also, the right footwear can add at least 10 m....