Randomly delivered letters through Royal Mail.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by flugel_fancy, Dec 23, 2009.

1. flugel_fancy

flugel_fancy Member

I received a letter through the post today which was not addressed to me and, infact, was not even addressed to the village I live in yet it came through my door. Even stranger is that it was addressed to the chairman of a neighbouring villages band (coincidence?). it was addressed...

The Chairman
    _________ brass band
    _______
    Sheffield

No post code and was dated the 12th December!

Now seeing as I do not even live in the addressed village and there was no name or building number on the address why did it come through my door?!

One person in the post office knows I play for a brass band (although not the band it was addressed to) so are they allowed to just put it through my door in hope that I don't open it and may know the person it is addressed to (of whom I actually don't know in this instance)?

Of course a quick phone call to the band and it's finally on it's way to the correct destination, but still, don't the royal mail have procedures for letters like this?!

Answers on a post card :hammer

2. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

I think that this shows someone with initiative in the post office. It reminds me of a letter posted to a program called 'That's Life' presented by Esther Rantzen - perhaps 25 years ago. The letter got there - and the only thing written on the envelope was 'Jaws'

3. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

When I used to watch Children's BBC (a long time ago I hasten to add) and Philip Schofield was still presenting it from 'The Broom Cupboard' he once praised the royal mail for a letter that had got through in only five days, when addressed (in crayon) to "Filip Scofeeld - Somewhere in London."

Probably didn't take much working out who it was for, but nice to see the extra effort being made.

4. In the states, that would never have happened. The human element has disappeared.

5. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

It's going fast here too, William...

6. A letter addressed to the nearest town to Mt. Vernon, about 35 miles, to reach it's destination, it must go 80 miles to St. Louis Missouri, be sorted there, and return 80 miles to be delivered.

7. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Bill Bryson gave an example of this. When he lived in Yorkshire, he once received a letter addressed to "B. Bryson, Writer, Yorkshire Dales". Whereas when he moved to New Hampshire the USPS managed to deliver his correctly addressed royalty cheques to a guy in Vermont on an monthly basis.

However he did make the point that his US local Post Office has staff who have been known to smile, a table with free sellotape etc. for packing parcels up, and occasionally gives out free coffee and donuts (American spelling intentional ;)). Which compares favourably with any UK Post Ofiice I've ever been in :rolleyes:

8. Many years past, there was a business in Paducah Kentucky named "Hugg the Druggist",
    a letter addressed "Embrace the Pharmacist" with no street address was delivered with no delay.

When I was employed by the Carson and Barnes Circus, based in Hugo Oklahoma, received a letter addressed only to Big Circus, Oklahoma. These are days gone by.

9. Anno Draconis

There's an apocryphal story of the USPS delivering a letter addressed simply thus:

Hill
    John
    Mass

Anyone want to try and work it out? :biggrin:

10. "She Who Must Be Obeyed" says it is Senator John Kerry, Massachusetts, Capitol Hill.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Royal Mail
    post code
    post card
    post office
    brass band
  12. tubadaz

tubadaz Member

John Underhill
    Andover
    Massachusetts

:-D

Darryl

13. Wow! it's so simple it's difficult.

14. Anno Draconis

:clap: good work fella! :biggrin:

15. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

Is that wise?

16. The usual procedure is for them to go through mis-sorts when they arrive at your local sorting office, this involves the use of blue crayon - my favourite job when I worked at the post office haha. Very odd that you received it though but again, like someone said perhaps your local postie thought because it was band related you could sort it out.

You need to visit the post office I used to work in, we smiled, gave out sweets some days and had sellotape if required, oh and even let you use our scissors to cut it. Some of my happiest days working there... and I'm only 20!!!