Random Recipe Corner!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by twigglet, Jan 21, 2005.

1. twigglet

twigglet Member

OK, leading on from the who's the best cook thread, seems like a good idea to share some of the 'special' food we've cooked up.....

I'm going to start with an amazing combination that I discovered when cooking some jacket potatoes and then half way through realising I was actually meant to be using up the sausages for tea......

Jacket potato ala sausage and cheese

Stick in some jackets
    Cook some sausages

After about an hour remove potatoes, scoop out middle bits and mash it all up with fried onions, herbs and a bit of butter and cheese

Return to halved potato shells and stick individual sausages in each half, tucking in nicely with potato

Grate cheese on, return to oven to brown

EAT mmmmmm....... heaven in an offal tube

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    cook thread
    Random Recipe
    Corner
    some
    combination
  3. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

It's like pre-packed, edible skinned sausage and mash.

Sounds lovely.

4. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

I'm sure you gave it a different name first time you made it...tasty though.

My recipe tip....vinegar on everything

5. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

At Pontins once I managed to fashion a reasonably edible sweet and sour sauce from the barest of ingredients. Had a tomato ketchup base and some soy sauce from a pot noodle, managed to get some real pineapple chunks from the little store on site though.

6. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

lovely...

7. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

Our band have compiled our own recipe books with each member giving their fave recipe! Some are definately tongue in cheek!!
    We sell em for £3 at concerts etc!

8. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

Microwave some pitta bread until it holds it's shape and doesn't deflate when you open the microwave door. As it cools down it goes really crispy. Split in half and fill with scrambled egg and small pieces of ham. Top with grated cheese then stick under the grill until brown on top.

Football Breakfast, invented during the last world cup
    Make some bread dough. (use a packet mix if you like) roll it out into a long thin strip. place on cooked bacon, cooked sausages, slices of hard boiled egg and top with motzarella cheese. Roll up like a sausage roll, Coil it up in a round tin. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with Rosemary. Bake at 200C for about 20 mins until well risen and golden brown. Cut into wedges and serve. It's like a cross between a large sandwich and a pizza

9. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

From my student days....

Gloop

Ingredients:
    ----------------
    Entire contents of cupboard having not shopped for 2 weeks.

Method:
    ----------
    1. Boil and/or fry as necessary
    2. Add soy sauce, ketchup, horseradish, curry sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and old bottle of cooking sherry discovered at last minute behind toilet where it was left after last party.
    3. Stare at grey mass in saucepan and red mess in kitchen and retch.
    4. Chuck it all in the bin and go for pizza and beer instead.

Worked for me.
    BMB
    xx

10. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

sounds great...
    actualy no4 does sound pretty good

11. stabbyjnr

stabbyjnr Member

-open tin if beans (either variety,cheap or Heinz)
    -pour beans into microwaveable bowl or pan
    -heat beans in microwave or pan for 3 mins (depending on microwave catagory)
    -when the microwave goes beep or the fire alarm in the hall goes off,the beans are cooked.
    -pour beans onto plate
    -grate some nice cheese Preferably Cheshire cheese (i am from cheshire yes) on top of the beans
    -add a dash of Lea and Perrins
    - add some parsley for garnish

you have created the fantastic dish-Le fromage sur les haricots cuits A.K.A-Cheese on baked beans OR cheesy beans!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    cook thread
    Random Recipe
    Corner
    some
    combination
  13. Brassb3ll3nd

Brassb3ll3nd Member

I just made a great sausage and onion pie for dinner. The kids loved, I loved it, even the missus said it was alright. Praise indeed cos she's a cook.

Gently fry a pound of good sausages (I used Lincolnshires) and two onions, When the sausages are cooked take them out and slice into chunky bits, but let your onions cook so that they're nice and soft and brown, caramalized I think is the term. Then put half of them into the sausages use the rest in the frying pan to make a gravy, add a pint of stock (oxo cube and water) 4 spoons of gravy granules a teaspoon of english mustard and a sprinkling of herbs and black pepper.

Line a pie dish with puff pastry, the frozen stuff is brill, but defrost it first, then put your suasages onions and about five or six spoons of gravy in before putting on the crust. I cooked it for about 45 minutes in a gas oven on mark 6, then serve it with the rest of the gravy and some mashed spuds.

MMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm gorgeous!!

14. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

For the posh option - mix in sweetcorn and coleslaw to cheesy beans...yum yum yum

15. Fergus

Fergus Member

My only memory rom my Uni days is that "Salad Cream" with everything was a must.

16. ju33les

ju33les Member

And now for dessert :-D

Packet of ginger nuts
    Soak them in sherry (or Port if posh) but not until soggy
    Line up in a long bowl
    Smother with thick whipped cream
    Stick this white log in fridge to set a bit
    Slice it and eat

All cream cake and alcohol cravings seen to in one go!:-D

17. ju33les

ju33les Member

Salad cream on cold brussels....luvverly!

18. Fergus

Fergus Member

Sounds like the ideal way to finish a day of contesting !!!

19. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

Well if we're moving on to dessert Every Sunday my sister makes an attempt to create what she says is her masterpiece of culinary delight (in fact, she usually makes two or three attempts) but alas, I have yet to sample even a tiny morsel of it.

Here is the recipe she uses:

1 or 2 bottles brandy
    baking powder
    100g butter
    1tsp bicarbonate of soda
    1tsp. sugar
    lemon juice
    2 large eggs
    100g brown sugar
    2 cups dried fruit
    nuts

Before you start, sample the brandy to check for quality. Good, isn't it? Now go ahead. Select a large mixing bowl, measuring cup, etc. Check the brandy again. It must be just right. To be sure brandy is of the highest quality, pour one level cup of brandy into a glass and drink it as fast as you can. Repeat. With an electric mixer, beat 100g butter in a large fluffy bowl. Add 1 seaspoon of thugar and beat again. Meanwhile, make sure that the brandy is of the finest quality-- try another cup. Open second bottle, if necessary. Add 2 arge leggs, 2 cups fried druit and beat till high. If druit gets stuck in beaters, just pry it loose with a drewscriver. Sample the brandy again, checking for tonscisticity. Next sift 3 cups of pepper or salt (it really doesn't matter which). Sample the brandy again. Sift 1/2 pint lemon juice. Fold in chopped butter and strained nuts. Add one babblespoon of brown thugar, or whatever color you can find. Wix mell. Grease oven and turn cake pan to 350 gredees. Now pour whole mess into the coven and ake. Check the brandy again, and bo to bed.

Now you know why.....

20. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

Delicious! we used to do that all the time at my parents. Alternative.... use chocolate chip cookies.
    2nd alternative, use choc chip cookies & instead of sherry, a Baileys & coffee mixture & sprinkle a flake on top of the cream!! Oooh, you could use Tia Maria as well!

Note to people who might try this...........do NOT drive or operate any machinary after!!!

21. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Right then You Mouthpiece DUDES here is a favorite snack of mine :

3 rounds of Harvest Grain bread toasted.
    12 Slices of Corned Beef a reasonable thickness
    3 Fresh Tomatoes Sliced
    Grated Extra Mature Cheese
    Daddies Brown Sauce.

Toast Bread as normal, a skim of butter on each piece.
    Place on Corned Beef Sliced Tomatoes, and cover with grated Cheese.
    Place back under to be toasted till cheese as melted in to tomatoe and corned beef, fetch from under grill , put on Brown Sauce.
    It is a TOPJOLLY SNACK and goes down well.:)
    Make sure you have got a GOOD PINT OF BEER with you i recomend Bishops Finger or London Pride.:guiness :-D

22. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Burned Water

NB. This is not the same as boiling water!

Open kitchen cupboard underneath the work top and look for big cup like item with a long handle sticking out from the top.*

*This is called a "saucepan".

Take to sink, and rinse thoroughly.

Observe that's it's still gunky, and leave to soak in a sink full of hot water and washing up liquid.**

**This general process is called "washing up".

Two hours later, rinse thoroughly, removing all bubbles.

Dry outside of "saucepan".

Three quarters*** fill with water from kitchen tap.

***Think midway between the goal line and the centre line and add it to the other bit of the soccer pitch, or where Steve Harmison has been pitching for most of the current tour.

Place on hob.****

****Round thing on cooker.*****

***** Am assuming electric cooker here. Not trusting people with gas and matches...

Switch on cooker and turn on the power for the relevant hob, and set to maximum.^

^i.e. turn the knob as far as it will go.

Turn on Sky and watch Spanish Football - LIVE!

Remember about water when the kitchen is alight.

Complain to fire brigade that you missed the last 10 minutes and Barcelona were losing two one but had had a player sent off, but had won a dodgy penalty.

Get lectured by mother, and told "Get out of my kitchen and don't ever EVER come into it again."

Result!