Random: Protect your WiFi home network

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by TheMusicMan, Apr 27, 2007.

?

Home Internet: What's yours and are you protected?

1. Do you Have a Home Network...?

35 vote(s)
    79.5%
  2. Is this WiFi...?

27 vote(s)
    61.4%
  3. Is this Ethernet (or other cable)...?

9 vote(s)
    20.5%
  4. Is this both...?

20 vote(s)
    45.5%
  5. If WiFi: is your Home Network secured with encryption...?

31 vote(s)
    70.5%
  6. If WiFi and no security: I Don't know how to secure a WiFi network...?

6 vote(s)
    13.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Just been reading an interesting article where two people were arrested and prosecuted for leeching someone elses WiFi network. They were scanning for open networks and were caught.

As I have an interest in this subject, this prompted me to create a poll asking if you have WiFi, if your network is protected and secure.

Here's the article: http://www.out-law.com/page-7969

Please submit to the poll... am curious.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    WiFi
    home network
    Random
    networks
    interest
  3. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Poll??

4. TheMusicMan

One creates the poll after one creates the thread... :):)

5. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Oh! That poll.

6. TheMusicMan

A further option added which asks if people have a WiFi network and it isn't protected, is the reason for this because you don't know how to do protect it?

Thanks for submitting... could be interesting.

7. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

Interesting question: whenever I am travelling I always check to see if there is an unsecured network around before paying for one of the commercial hotspots.
    My own is protected btw.

8. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

ps: you need another option as you can also secure using methods other than encryption such as defined mac addresses

9. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Three of my neighbours run with unsecured wireless networks. Mine is all secured up and none of that WEP rubbish either. Even then I prefer wired for the speed anyway. The only wireless things I use are my laptop and the PSP. The home media network really doesn't work that well over wireless especially for large movie files.

10. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

I also often have a wee scan around on the train of a morning just to see what's about. You'd be surprised how many unsecured laptops can be found, even those belonging to some large financial corporations.

11. SoloBaritone

SoloBaritone Member

I'm confused, are you allowed to use someones unsecured wireless internet or not? I don't understand all this WiFi stuff, my head hurts.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    WiFi
    home network
    Random
    networks
    interest
  13. TheMusicMan

No... you're not allowed to use another persons WiFi connection without permission to do so.

The article I posted from Out-Law explains that two people were prowling and scanning for unprotected WiFi networks that they could use. This is theft and is illegal.

It's also the reason I suggested people protect their WiFi network.

14. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

How do you encrypt then?

15. TheMusicMan

You usually need to access the WiFi router control panel by accessing its IP address - usually by typing 192.168.1.1 in your browser address bar.

Then, depending on your router type and model, look for WiFi security, then enable WEP, WPA or WPA2 protection. When you do this, you will be asked for a password/passphrase - select one, then when you try to connect to the network on a PC, you will be asked for that password. Only need to do this once, and your PC will usually remember the password. Anyone snooping for WiFi networks will see yours (if SSID is on) but unless they know your password, they won't be able to connect to it.

That help...?

16. Ste69

Ste69 Member

I'm WEP secured - for my tablet PC - we've also 2 desktops and they're wired network- the three work together nicely now.

I want to know how I can find a free hotspot for when I'm out of the move and need to connect. At the moment I dial in using my mobile as a modem.

I'm guessing the hotspot idea would get me locked up eh?

17. TheMusicMan

Not necessarily; some hotspots are free... but mainly those who either can't be bothered or who don't know how to secure their WiFi connection. Have a lookie at this site to see if there's a hotspot where you are.

18. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

That's ironic, WEP and security used in the same sentence.

WEP has long since been compromised and the keys to hack it are widely available online. Like John says change to one of the WPA encryption mechanisms are these are a lot more secure than WEP.

There aren't many free hotspots around but places like Starbucks, McD's or even the larger railway stations often have an access point for the Cloud or BT Openzone and are reasonably priced.

19. TheMusicMan

I think if you subscribe to T-Mobile - you can get a payment plan subscription that allows you to access their hotspots around the country as part of the package.

20. TheMusicMan

I stumbled (for those who know... excuse the pun!!) across a great resource the other day for showing how to secure your home WiFi and router.

See if your router is listed and have a read here.