Raising Brass!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by David Mann, Mar 3, 2006.

1. David Mann

David Mann Member

I've just been manipulated into becoming the Treasurer of my 4th section band (Dunchurch, top band in the village). We have enough income from jobs / carolling / subs to cover our normal expenses, but we would like to do more: our training band instruments are quite old, it would be nice to have a newer selection of music, a new bandroom etc...
    Does anyone have any proven ideas they would share with us? (legal and not too embarrassing please!)
  2. ruthatron

ruthatron Member

how about a dinner dance/ball? we hold one every year to raise money for our youth ensembles. we did the first one last year, and raised over [FONT=&quot]£[/FONT]800, with about 100 people attending.

another idea, again used with our youth ensembles, a 24 hour sponsored play (or less hours if it's just your band, but you could get the training band involved etc.). not everyone has to be playing all the time, get some solos, duets, quartets etc. going on, as long as it's a continual "concert".
  3. GJacko

GJacko Member

4. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

yep we had awarsds for all also smaller local grants , ask louise to ask sister lisa!! or PM me for details cheers Shaz x
  5. alanl58

alanl58 Member

Grants are fine if you qualify for them......

But try to set up a "supporters club" - Mums & Dads, wives, husbands, girlfriends, boyfriends etc - the ask them to raise your funds for you.

This leaves you free to continue to play good music, and concentrate upon presenting a readable Balance Sheet for the AGM.

IMHO the Treasurer should not get involved with fund raising, merely banking the results! (others will disagree!)

Good luck, and congratulations for being one of the many "committee" volunteers without whom most bands would cease to exist - and expect the most criticism!

Band Secretary (2 bands!)