Rainwear ????

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Despot, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Despot

Despot Member

Has anyone any suggestions for suitable "rainwear" for marching in the rain? Capes, ponchos, hats etc?

Also, any suggestions where can you buy it?

Thxs! :D
  2. trombelle

trombelle Member

we have huuuuge macs that are all about size XXXXL. they go down to out knees and are extremely embarrassing but hey! they keep us dry!
  3. Spray your blazers and caps with as much 3M Scotchguard (or similar product) water-proofer as possible.

This isn't a joke, if it's just a few passing showers the water should just bead straight off.
  4. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Pipe bands in Scotland use some sort of cape/poncho affair when it's wet. I've often wondered if these could be of use to us, unfortunately I believe they are quite expensive.
  5. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I'm still thinking about inventing a rain cover for my trombone...
  6. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

I try very hard to avoid (a) marching and (b) going out in the rain, so the best advice I can give: if it starts spitting - save yourselves...

7. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Why don't you get a set of those funky spinny umberella style hats that Peter Kay has in Pheonix Nights? Then the crowds will be even more entertained!
  8. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

What's this "even more" about?

Alas SM, much as I agree with your advice, this is for one occasion of the year when the only excuse for not marching is being dead, and even then, only with 2 weeks advance notice...
  9. Despot

Despot Member

...and even then you'll be criticisted for dying at such an unconvienient time...

Yep, look at it this way, this year it was sleeting and snowing...and it still went ahead.....!
  10. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

We used to do an all day marching thing in Lanark every year - not sure if the Bankies still do it. On the years when it was lashing down we used to look enviously at the rich pipe bands with their lovely capes (yes it was definitely their capes i was looking at - honest!). I got into the habit of taking a cagoul that was big enough to go over my oversized band jacket and stuffing it into a pocket just in case. Doesn't look as good as those capes though!

11. Despot

Despot Member

I looked it up and I think what the pipe bands wear are called Inverness capes, which are pricey (although they do look nice!)

I suppose when you don't have to buy BBb basses, timpani and the like, you have lots of money let over for extras like that! :D

Does anyone use anything like ponchos or vinyl coats? I've seen American bands with them, but you don't see them much on this side of the pond!
  12. stopher

stopher Member

13. lilcornetgirl

lilcornetgirl Member

We have got rainmacks with the band elblem on the frount of them we wore them on St Patricks march and one min it was rainin the next is was really sunny they keep the rain out and they keep ypu realy warm too. :lol:
  14. BIG Paul

BIG Paul Member

As lilcornetgirl states above we have just purchased some nice rainwear from traditionalsewing.co.uk very reasonably priced and appear to be good quality. What made it good the owners of the company are banders themselves. i you want more info u can email me at paul@dentonbrass.co.uk
  15. deezastar

deezastar Member

Just don't do marching jobs in the rain. No money spent and problem solved. Luuuuverly.
  16. akwarose

akwarose Active Member

we jus have plain dark blue macs. they arent the nicest things in the world to look at, but when its chuckin it down and you have to march (always happens on remembrance day) then they work perfectly!!!