Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by nook1938, Jun 16, 2007.

1. nook1938

nook1938 Supporting Member

Another hosepipe ban this "summer"?:rolleyes:
  2. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

This is the wrong type of rain alledgedly:rolleyes:
  3. postie

postie Member

After all the rain we've had so far this month??? Especially after Friday's storm!!!
  4. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

What's a hosepipe ban? :confused:

In Scotland, if it doesn't rain for 3 days then the worst that happens is that the puddles reduce down to the size of ponds rather than lakes! My mum went on holiday for a fortnight and I didn't need to water the garden cos we didn't go more than a couple of days without a downpour..... which makes life easy!:clap:
  5. SamHayday

SamHayday Member

Wrong type of rain? Surely rain is just rain.
  6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Fine rain . . . worst type of rain, fine rain :oops:
  7. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Fine rain?! ****** me backwards with a broom, if this is fine rain I'd hate to meet the heavy rain. I just saw a pigeon fall stunned onto the football pitch. :rolleyes:
  8. Veri

Veri Member

Personally, all this rain is fine by me - very conducive to writing a dissertation!
  9. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

I think when this term is used, it is used with reference to discharge times. That is to say the time it takes the rain to end up back in the rivers etc. Heavy downpours will saturate the ground to its maximum very quickly and the remaining rain will just runoff to the rivers. This is accentuated by the degree of concrete and tarmac around nowadays, which soaks up no water at all.

When it comes to replenishing our long term water supply, prolonged, heavy rain is best, not massive storms or cloudbursts. Prolonged rainfall will allow the maximum water to soak into the ground and hence reach our underground rivers and reservoirs etc.

The increase in flooding in recent years has as much to do with the urban environment as global warming. Large expanses of hard surfacing accelerate the movement of water into rivers , rapidly decreasing the discharge time and filling our rivers to capacity very quickly. Which then flood.

Geography lesson over!
  10. onebandman

onebandman New Member

I remember reading a few years ago that a type of permeable tarmac was being developed to help solve this problem.
    It would let water soak through it into the groundwater stores and therefore act more like natural ground rather than 100% surface runoff that normal tarmac gives.