RAH Festival of Remembrance

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Hornblower RN, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Hornblower RN

Hornblower RN Member

Did anybody hear the Royal Marine musician playing the flugel last night with the Royal Marine band at the Festival of Remembrance in the RAH....terrific number ......superb performance but what was the name of the piece? Can anybody identify the name of the piece and the name of the player? :clap: :clap:
  2. Aardvark

Aardvark Member

It was Children of Sanchez, don't know who the Flugel player was though.
  3. rebecca

rebecca Member

It was a fantastic performance and I thought it was Children of Sanchez.The whole service was brilliant, I watched it from beginning to end in memory of my Grandfather who died 10years ago to this weekend and served in the Royal Marines during the Second World war.
  4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- since the piece was recorded on the Mountbatten Festival Of Remembrance CD, the soloist is likely to be Mark Upton.
  5. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Yes I thought he was superb! Such a good feel for the music. I thought it was a shame that the commentators didn't tell us his name, he deserved some recognition!!
  6. Veri

Veri Member

I'm pretty sure it was Mark Upton - he used to play with Lympstone occasionally when I was there 1998-2002, and I was convinced I recognised the player, and now I know I do! It was ****** impressive!!
  7. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Fabulous Flugal playing indeed. Shame about the electric guitar bit at the end of the service. Spoilt it for me
  8. PPP

PPP Member

It definitely was Mark Upton - I know this for sure as my husband has taught him at the Marines when he visits as a brass professor. He told me he would be good and that he was perfoming there last night, apparently this kind of piece is right up his street. Well done Mark - Super!!
  9. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

It was absolutely superb - having just found out that one of the RM bands will be performing at the Mineworkers next Jan I really hope Children Of Sanchez is one of the pieces although I'll forgive them if there's not enough room for all that formation marching they did!

10. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

He did a superb job
  11. Veri

Veri Member

I've just bought the montbatten festival recording as i was so impressed!
  12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- I see that it's noted on the review I linked earlier that Mark is a bit of a showman sax player as well! :p
  13. Sharpy

Sharpy Member

Sorry to disappoint you but the Sax player who did Against All Odds was Musn Barry Wooley!

I know Mark Upton very well, shared a room with him for a year in training. Missed RBL as was at a Rememberance gig in Falkirk but I played in the Massed Band at MFM 2006 and he was amazing on all three nights he played it.
  14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- not according to the 4BR review of the CD!

15. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

It was indeed Mark Upton- but i would like to make the point that he's from lympstone band, not portsmouth band as was announced! First heard him play that one in a concert at exmouth before Mount Baton- cracking good player, good laugh as well!

Guitar guy was also there from lympstone i believe- Adrian Smith.
  16. Sharpy

Sharpy Member

Sorry to harp on but 4BR has got it wrong! I should know, I was playing in the Massed band!!!!!!
  17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- nae probs! (... just a case of shooting the messenger :) ). I'm suprised no-one has corrected 4BR for reporting inaccurate information.
  18. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Mea culpa - that's down to me, I'm afraid, coupled with the lack of clear announcements from the stage, and the juxtaposition of the respective photos and biographies in the programme :oops:
  19. Veri

Veri Member

And it is very good indeed. It's nice to hear the whole piece, and the rest of the cd kept me happily entertained on yesterdays commuting to Bristol and back. :clap: Listening to the cd, I am very impressed by the fact that it sounds like a studio recording, but is live - but I suppose they're all professionals, and I'm just used to my 4th section band! :rolleyes:
  20. Sharpy

Sharpy Member

No trying to shoot anyone! And if you'd ever seen me down a range you'd know I couldn't hit the side of a bus if I was on it anyway!!!