Radio2 Young Brass Solo Competition

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by big_benthomson, Nov 29, 2003.

1. I dont know what anybody knows about the contest, but these are the semi-finalists. Looked quite interesting and i hope they keep it running for next year. Any predictions for the next round....?

Laura Hirst - Dobcross (cornet/trumpet)
    Richard Kidd - Bon Accord (euph)
    Andy King - Royal Scottish Academy of Music (trombone)
    Katrina Marzella - Whitburn (baritone)
    Tom Osbourne - Royal Northern (cornet/trumpet)
    Arfon Owen - Black Dyke (tenor horn)
    Matt Palmer - Freckleton (cornet/trumpet)
    Danny Powell - Wigston Band + NYBBGB (tenor horn)

(as stolen from 4barsrest)
  2. shedophone

shedophone Member

Andy King will probably get through...
  3. Fridge

Fridge Member

Semi - finalists

I think Alex King has a good chance of winning, and Katrina M (baritone) is a very fine player, dont know a huge amount about the rest though
  4. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

I know all of them well with the exception of Richard Kidd...
    How many go through?
    In no particular order my top 4 to go through would be Andy King, Tom Osbourne, Arfon Owen and Matt Palmer.
    All *beep-hot* players though
  5. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

Re: Semi - finalists

fridge :) is that alex???
    are you confusing your own name with andy's ;)
  6. wewizrobbed

wewizrobbed Member

hey Aidan,

Richard Kidd is principal euph at NYBBS. Classy wee player!! His solo in resurgam this year was just bootiful!

Best of luck to him, hope he gets through.
  7. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

okey dokey :)
    settin off for sunny wee glasgae soon!!! mebbe see you tonight. failing that, in the bon tomorrow!!
  8. Moy

Moy Active Member

Richard is a young star in the making.
    Think if I am being honest, if I had to put money on who would win, my money would have to go on Andrew King. Heard him play up in Livingston(I think) and have also heard play in Stoneyhaven in Jamesies house and he is awesome.
    They are all excellent players and all will go far.
  9. stopher

stopher Member

Will put a fiver on Arfon as he's from the band that I conduct and his Mum lives round the corner to me.

He'd better turn up carrolling for us now at Christmas!!! :D

Hope that isn't the kiss of death for you mate btw!
  10. VenusTromster

VenusTromster Member

Good Luck to them all but i would put my money on Andrew King.
  11. Im thinking Andy King or Tom Osbourne, but yeah, good luck to all :)
  12. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

When's the semi final?
  13. SoloBaritone

SoloBaritone Member

Good luck to lovely Laura!!!

14. jamie the euph

jamie the euph New Member

On a name bassis i would have to say andy king but at nybgb tom osborne beat andy in th solo finals so i dont know good luck to all of you!may the best player win lol
  15. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Just out of interest, is there any difference between this competition and the brass section of Young Musician of the Year?
  16. yeah, this is for brass only (mainly banders at that) and is run by Radio 2 for their band shows
  17. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

do you play with a band accompaniment then instead of a piano?

I'm just asking, because they got rid of a perfectly good youth band competition and replaced with something that seems to me to be basically the same as YMotY... which bugs me slightly as it gives me the impression they're trying to invest even less in banding at the beeb!
  18. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

The accomp. is supplied by Fodens and Dyke if I'm not mistaken. In all honesty I am more likely to tune in to listen to these than the youth band comp.
  19. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

ah right, that's ok then... so definitely a band thing! Which is good! :D
  20. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

Yes.. fodens in the semi finals... with a live audience, held in bbc studio 7 manchester.. on the same weekend as the rncm festival of brass.. just 5 minutes down the road. and the final is held at the rncm on the 14th feb with dyke.

Which music competition has been got rid of?
    The BBC Young Musician is generally of a higher standard. (not discrediting any of the semi-finalists!!! but it's true) this could be due to the fact that the radio 2 comp wasn't advertised very well at all!!! im sure this will be rectified for next year though. If it gets a repetition.